Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

The Double Spawn Log

I'm getting antsy so I figured I'd go ahead and start my spawn log. I have cultures for Microworms, Vinegar Eels, Walter Worms, and Banana Worms on the way. They should be here either tomorrow or Friday I think. From the instructions the seller gave me it should take 2-3 days for the cultures to get going and after a week they should be doing really well. So I expect to start spawning on the 30th. That gives a little over a week for my cultures to really get going. I also have brine shrimp eggs and I'm doing a practice run with those this weekend (the big fish are going to get a real treat!)

Here are my breeders. I'm doing two spawns at once (hence the "double spawn").

Sid Vicious x Nancy.. Multicolor HM pair (both won at the GBBA show auction)
Male:

Female:

Its hard to tell from her pictures but Nancy does have red in her, mostly at the base of her fins. Her color is more purplish than blue.

For this spawn I'm hoping to get at least one male close to the father's coloring. I'm also hoping to get a good number of fish with his excellent fins. I'm hoping the mother can offset his shovel headedness. I'm expecting lots of reds, blues, washes, etc.

Rio x Ada Marble HMxSD pair (Male from GBBA auction, female from Zenandra )
Male:

He has since marbled and is now mostly blue with a black head.

Female:

For this spawn all I'm really hoping for is marbles. This is a more "see what I'll get" spawn. I would like to start a marble line but I'm not sure if this is the pair I want to use or not.

My set up:

I'll be using two 10 gallons. Halfway filled with water and 50w heaters (if needed). I'll also have lots of java moss and a little hornwort in there, if I can get to the LFS to get more plants I may add more. I'm adding some MTS and my mystery snails to the tank to help create infusoria. I'll also be putting in a coffee mug or the like to act as a cave. The females will be going into gallon pickle jars to be set in the spawning tank.

I'll be using IAL to tint the water (I hope) and leaving a leaf in there for the male to use. In addition to that I'll put a styrofoam cup and a plastic lid to give the male choices for his nest.

After the spawning the female will go back to her respective tank (to heal before going in my sorority). Males will stay with the fry until they are free swimming (unless he starts eating all the babies). First foods will be infusoria from the plants/snails, followed by microworms and vinegar eels, then bbs, walter worms and banana worms as they become suitable.

Once I take the male out I'll be covering the tanks with saran wrap (tip from OFL ) to keep the air in the tank really humid. 50% daily water changes will be done. I'll slowly raise the water level over time until the tank is full.

After the fry are big enough they'll be moved to growout tanks. I have a 29 gallon and a 55 gallon to use as growouts (so my fry don't get mixed up). Each tank will have a DIY sponge filter (that I'll cycle with media from my established tanks) hooked up to a gang valve so I can adjust water flow.

My pseudo fish room is on my Mother's sun porch (it was her idea, Sid Vicious is her fish). There's not really airconditioning out there so it stays a toasty 78-82* out there. I may not need heaters for the tanks, I'm still deciding what temperatures I want my spawning/growout tanks to be. I'll get pictures of my pseudo fish room once everything is set up.

I've been conditioning my breeders for the past two weeks with frozen foods (but still also using pellets). For the next week or so I'm going to feed them solely frozen foods 2-3 times a day. If my cultures reproduce fast enough I may also supplement their diet with live foods.

I put Sid and Nancy next to each other today during water changes and she barred up immediately and began flaring at him, and he, her. I have not tested out Rio and Ada yet.

I'll update this thread as I go along with LOTS of pictures.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #2 
beat2020

Looks good!
Beautiful fish! I can't wait to see what turns out with the Rio Ada pair.
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Everything sounds great!! Good luck and keep us posted.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I think these are the most compatible pairs in terms of "responsible" breeding. Nancy, a royal blue, with Sid (to my experience) would mainly produce blue body with red fins. Usually female genes are dominant .... so who knows you might get royal blue as well. But you are unlikely to get any solid reds.
And as for Rio and Ada, you should get a dominant marble (pale/fleshy) color.

Breeding logs are useful. You will know the genetics within the offspring. I can't wait to see the results. GOOD LUCK.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 AM   #5 
newfishmom

This is so exciting! I can't wait to see what you get.
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Thanks guys :D

Indjo... Nancy is actually a multi (although she has more blue). The flash washes her colors out but she definitely has reds and blues in her fins. Sid is red based.

Update: I got my cultures today!!! All of them arrived. I have enough vinegar eels to spawn immediately!! So look for me to be setting up my tank around Wednesday or Thursday next week!!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #7 
beat2020

That's great!
Looking forward for more updates.
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Well it turns out I have enough VE that I can spawn immediately so tomorrow I am setting up one of my spawning tanks. I'll probably put Sid and Nancy in there on Sunday morning (Nancy in the pickle jar). Tuesday evening if all looks good I'll release Nancy.

My other 10 gallon is one I got for $5 because it had a crack in it, I've glued it but its still leaking. I re-glued it again today with A LOT of glue. I'm going to try filling it again on Sunday and if it doesn't leak I'll set it up as well with Rio and Ada.

Tomorrow I'm setting up my brine shrimp hatchery and giving it a go. I'm not sure if the air pump I got is going to work or not because its extremely powerful (I got it free with the $5 cracked tank). I'm going to try it out and get a gang valve for it.

I also decided that I'm going to try using bubble wrap as one of the nesting sites. I read that some males think the bubble wrap is an old nest and begin to build their nest under it.

If all goes well I should have babies by the end of next week.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

I set up one of the spawning tanks last night. I have a few things to add but I should be putting Sid and Nancy in there this evening. I decided to go with bubble wrap for the nesting site. I put two pieces (about 2x3in) in the spawning tank and took another piece and set it in Sid's tank to see what he would do with it. This morning there was a big fat nest under it I'm taking that as a good sign.

I checked my cultures yesterday. I have PLENTY of VE and my other cultures are doing great as well.

All that's left to do is add a few more plants to Sid and Nancy's tank and set up Rio and Ada's tank and add the fish tonight.

I'll add pictures this evening!
Old 06-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #10 
beta novice

i hope you get some marbles love marbles
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote