Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #101 
1fish2fish

Thanks for the advice. :)

For all the picture hogs I managed to get a (very blurry) picture of one of the fry.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #102 
JKfish

:D love the pic.

I think you should mix the fry, it doesn't make sense to go through double the necessary work. All the fry are bound to be beautiful, and I don't think many people would mind getting fry from either pair.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #103 
1fish2fish

That's what I think. Before when I was hoping to have 100+ fry I wanted to keep them separate in case I decided to sell them on aquabid (so I could say who the parents were). Since there are so few I'm just going to mix them tomorrow when I do the water change.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #104 
1fish2fish

I'm feeling really sad today. I think I should just cull and start over. Rio's fry have ich so I can't mix the fry, two of his were dead this morning and I'm sure more will die. Sid's are just disappearing, I could only find 3 this morning.

If I cull now I can do one more spawn before summer is over. I just don't think I should continue to waste time and resources on a tiny number of fry who are quickly dwindling.

Thoughts??
Old 07-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #105 
vaygirl

I think you've gotta do what you think. I'm sorry you're sad. :( First spawns aren't always successful, as I'm sure you've read. I think you did the best job. It just didn't work out this time. But they sound like they're not that healthy to begin with. Do what you've gotta do and for sure, try again!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #106 
1fish2fish

Yeah, on top of that Bella got away from me this morning. She ran (which shes not supposed to do) up the stairs (which she's not supposed to do) across the yard dragging herself (which she's not supposed to do) chasing the cat (which she's not supposed to do). I was on the verge of tears when I finally got her back. I can't afford for her to get hurt again. She's in crate jail for the rest of the night.

I think I'm going to give the fry a chance. I'm getting mason jars tonight and I'm going to jar the remaining fry from Sid and I'm going to try treating Rio's with ich medication. If it doesn't work at least I can say I tried.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #107 
vaygirl

Oh no! Bad Bella! I think crate jail is the way to go. They don't know. The big doofuses. I can only imagine trying to keep Molly from doing all of the above. It wouldn't be possible unless she was jailed. When Bella's all better, she'll forget all about her imprisonment.

Good luck with the lil fry that are left. They should be strong lil guys if they make it.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #108 
Oldfishlady

Don't give up...it will get better and easier as you go...good idea with the mason jars.

Sounds like Bella is feeling better.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #109 
mollyyymo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I think I'm going to give the fry a chance. I'm getting mason jars tonight and I'm going to jar the remaining fry from Sid and I'm going to try treating Rio's with ich medication. If it doesn't work at least I can say I tried.
Good for you, giving them a chance. Whether or not they turn out to be the most (conventionally) beautiful fish on earth, they're still living things and deserve a shot at life. If they're suffering too much, do the humane thing, but please, do what you can for them.
mollyyymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #110 
1fish2fish

Bella doesn't think anything is wrong with her. I have to admit she was moving pretty well which is a good sign but it scared the crap out of me.

I'm not sure that treating the fry for ich is the most humane thing. Its going to be really rough on them. If they make it out ok then it is going to be worth it. I just saw that large one from Rio's tank, I think he's going to be a male.. maybe I'm just hoping. He's the biggest of all the fry and has gold eyes. He's the reason I changed my mind because he's strong and he deserves a chance to prove it.