Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #1 
TouchMyBetta

Betta fish and Ghost Shrimps

I am new to ghost shrimp, should I get 1 or 2 shrimp with my betta fish?? My tank is a led aqueon betta bow 2.5 gallon, with only 1 betta in it. How do i take care of the ghost shrimp? How long would they last? Will there be a chance my betta will eat it??? What live plants recommended from petsmart I can get for the ghost shrimp to hide? I have the swirl bamboo plant, but it wont hide ths shrimp. Will the shrimp kill my betta or rip his fins?
TouchMyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #2 
Straubrey

The shrimp shouldn't harm your betta, but he may or may not eat them. The problem is that ghost shrimp need very stable water parameters. In a tank that small, with frequent 100% water changes, I don't think the shrimp would make it. They are very sensitive to changes in water quality.
Straubrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:26 AM   #3 
ZZD

I would suggest a bigger tank and more than 2 ghost shrimp. Ghost shrimp are feeders so they tend to die. I always buy a few more than I want and assume some will become panda and betta food. My betta doesn't mess with them and in fact swims amoung them. The shrimp barely hide despite tons of plants, rocks, and driftwood. In fact my betta started demanding his food on the floor with the pandas and shrimp.

But shrimp are a pain to keep. My longest surviving shrimp is my vampire shrimp. My current batch of ghost shrimp have been going strong for a few months now and even survived a tank change last month. But the tanks were established when the shrimp were added. It's hard enough to keep them alive during normal times so I would never try keeping them in one that's cycling.
ZZD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqueon, betta, ghost, petsmart, shrimp