Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #11 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Not that I see, I thought dropsy too. I'm going to fast him for a couple days and see if the swelling goes down. Does anyone else have any advice?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

If he is bloated and having some swimming problems like you stated about him swimming on his side, you may want to do the Epsom salt 1tsp/gal treatment along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days, I would put him in QT and hold all food for 3 days then offer half feeding every other day, water temp in the 80-81F, cover the top of the QT tank with plastic vegie wrap to hold the temp above the water and to keep the humidity up.
If you think it may be internal parasites you can add fresh crushed garlic smashed up in his food and after Epsom salt treatment feed that food 2 times a day for at least 6 weeks or get an internal parasite med, I don't use it so I can't advise
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #13 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Thanks so much for looking at this OFL. Ok, I saw that they sell Epsom salt at Rite Aid, so I'll go pick some up tomorrow. Aquarium salt won't do anything? Should I put him in a 1G tank with nothing in it but a plant for him to rest on with the water lowered? He doesn't have any problems getting to the bottom. But even when he swims, he swims on his side. :(

I have a tetra heater 2-15G that keeps it at 78*F. It doesn't have an adjustable thing. I have JPC and the JPC medicated food, but I would like to hold off on medicating unless I know for sure it's parasites. So basically if the swelling doesn't go down in the 3 days, it's most likely internal parasites?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

That temp should be fine, Epsom salt and aquarium salt do two different things, yes, if he is struggling I would lower the water level for his comfort.
If the swelling does not go down in 3 days-it does not mean parasite per se', I agree with not medicating unless you have to, I don't use any OTC meds due to their harshness myself, watch his poop, stringy discolored (not the color of their food)
Look at him from above and see if the swelling looks the same on both sides to rule out tumor (not cancer) one side will look bigger or mis-shaped than the other.

Sometimes as a fry they can be fallers or have deformed swim bladder and the symptoms can show up when stressed or if they get too cold or breath in too cold, dry air. Sometimes it will resolve on its own and other times it will not and all you can do is keep them comfy.
Lets hope it is just constipation or a mild cold or swim bladder infection....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote