Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #1 
scryinginyou13

Question need decor advice and tips

well i have a male betta in a gallon bowl right now, i plan to move him to the bigger(5 gallon) tank in about a week.

Ifeed him freeze dried blood worms once a day.
and wehn I brought him home i treated his bowl water with tetra aqua safe and some api aquarium salt.

I also have a 1-3 gallon whisper filter in there too.

now when i move him to the larger tank i plan to put a bubble stone at the bottom, now im not sure what kind of decor I should put in there.

im using small gem like stones in stead of gravel, i tested them with white vinegar and the didn't fizz- so they should be fine.

I'm a new betta owner so any tips or little helpful hints will def. help!
scryinginyou13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....
In his current set-up (1g) I would make 3 weekly 50% water changes and once a week 100% water changes, even with the filter to provide the best water quality and prevent health and fin issues.
If the current is too strong with the filter you may want to remove the filter and make every-other day 100% water changes instead.
Don't over feed and its easy to do with this species as it always acts like its hungry and begs for food. Remove any uneaten food after you feed.
Use dechlorinator with any new water added to the tank if on city water supply
When making water changes make sure the water temp is within a couple of degree from new and old water.
Water temp is important with this species and they do best in stable water temps of 78-80F

In the new 5g set up with a filter, it needs at least twice weekly 50% water changes with substrate vacuuming with one of the 50% weekly WC.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month or when the water flow slows
For decoration, if not using live plants use silk plants, the plastic plants tend to snag and rip their delicate fins, also, add some type of fin/fish safe hiding place for him.
A good varied diet is best, avoid overfeeding any of the freeze dried foods especially bloodworms as they tend to cause bloat and constipation issues when feed more that 2-3 times a week.

Long term aquarium salt is not recommend due to the internal damage it can cause and resistant parasite/pathogens from long term use and wrong dosage. It is a great product for short term treatments and good to have on hand.

I am sure I left some things out but others will be along with more......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #3 
Sarada

Oldfishlady already said this but....Don't use plastic plants. Silk is better, or live. Plastic is good for ripping fins.

It happened to my first betta, he's ok now but he had a good rip from the cheap plants I originally had.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #4 
scryinginyou13

well thanks so much for the info! and as far as the bubble stone goes, should i not use that? and other than the bloodworks, is there another food you would recommend? as far as little hiding places, i notice he likes to hide behind the filter, I was thinking of getting him like a coral cave or something along those lines. Do you think the fake coral will tare his fins?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #5 
Sarada

I have a cheap ornament from Walmart...ceramic crashed airplane...he hasn't tore a fin on it. A hiding spot is a good idea though, they like well planted tanks. Lots of people use tipped over terra cotta planters. Look for something relatively smooth.
Bloodworms are more of a treat then actual food. You can get Betta food in pellet form that works best, 3 pellets a couple times a day. Flakes tend to make a mess.
I don't know about the air stone as I have never had one. My betta seemed happier without a filter as there was less movement. He has a sponge filter now and I don't think I can get anything slower then that. He's still happy but I haven't seen a bubblenest since the new filter.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #6 
scryinginyou13

well thanks so much, my fishy friend will very much appreciate it. he seems fine with the filter but its like a drizzle so maybe thats why he doesnt mind it. well i imagine since i was told before not to have alot of water movement that the stone is probley not a good idea, but when i firsdt brought him home i put him in the 5 gallon and had the air stone in there and he was lovin it, maybe it was b/c he wasn't in that awful little bowl-I'm not sure.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #7 
Sarada

If he likes it, keep it :P