Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #1 
Calmwaters

What is wrong with her?

Hi guys I noticed the other day that Ruby (red female) was laying on her side alot and looked like her stomach was a little swollen so I thought she was constipated so I gave her some cooked peas like I have read to do but it does not seem to have helped. Now today it almost looks like her spine has a bend in it. I know that there is a name for it but I have a really bad headache and can't think right now. So what do you guys think it is and how do I treat it? I have also read that an epsion salt bath helps if they are constipated but now with her spine like it is I am not sure if that is the problem. I feed them a variety of Omega One Betta Flakes, pellets on occasion and frozen food also. She swims kind of crooked to but mostly she just lays on the bottom. I have her in a 1 gallon container by herself at the moment.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Crooked spine can mean several things, swim bladder infection, not disease, fish TB, vitamin deficiency, or tumor to name a few things.

Best natural treatment would be Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days, hold all food for 3 days then feed half feedings that have been soaked in a infant drop type vitamin about 1 drop, you are looking for A and B vitamins every other day. Cover the top of the container with a veggie wrap to hold the temp and humidity. If she is struggling to get to air-you may want to lower the water level some.

Wash you hands really good before and after you do anything with her, if it is TB it can be transferred to humans when you have open wound on your hands, this is very, very rare. If it is fish TB they usually do not survive.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #3 
Calmwaters

So do I leave her in the water with the epson salt? Or do I just leave her in there for a little while then put her in clean water? I already have her in about 4 inches of water to make it easier on her and there is a plastic plant that she can rest on to. Thank you for all your help.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

You want to leave her in the epsom salt water for 10 days, I like to pre-mix my epsom salt 1tsp/gal in a clean 1g jug to make dosage and the 100% water changes easier.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #5 
Calmwaters

Ok I got it.