Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #1 
JKfish

Questions that are probably stupid but...

1) Can i use a turkey baster to suck up debris from the sand in my tank while it is cycling, or will that also be sucking up all the good bacteria as well?

2) after my tank is cycled, can I put a carbon filter in?

3) My ph is 6.8, should I get something to increase it so it is 7.0 for my betta, or leave it be?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #2 
Jennyinurmouth

I will answer the turkey baster one,
I use it when I have sand in the aquariums, and I don't think it harms the cycling.
Jennyinurmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #3 
ParisRose

I've been told that your fish will adapt to the ph and not to use chemicals. It's not that far off I'd say leave it be.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #4 
JKfish

^.^ thank you two for replying

2) Can I add a carbon filter after cycling, or will the carbon eat the good bacteria?

4)Would a 10 gallon tank be overstocked with 1 betta, 5 harlequin rasboras and 2 or 3 otos?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #5 
Ashcan Bill

As far as the carbon filter, a number of people with planted tanks seem to feel the carbon will remove nutrients that the plants need, so they avoid the carbon.

All I can say is I use carbon filters and have plants that are doing very well. I've used carbon for a long time. I think the carbon helps a lot with the water clarity, and I prefer clear, clean water. The only time I would remove the carbon would be if I added medications. The carbon will filter out medications you might add to your tank.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

I had a carbon filter for a while but IMO its a waste.

Your pH is actually REALLY good. Bettas prefer slightly acidic water with a pH from 6.5-7 being ideal. They can tolerate higher pH but it can cause fin curling. That pH would be excellent for keeping a CT.

Turkey basters work well but I wouldn't pick up debris while cycling, wait until after your cycled.

IMO your tank would be fine. It would be fully stocked and you would need to watch your prams but I think with a healthy water change schedule it could work fine. I would suggest planting the tank to help with absorbing wastes and producing oxygen.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #7 
Adastra

Like they said, bettas like acidic water, and yes, you can use carbon once the cycle is complete.

I would reconsider your stocking plans, though. Otoclinus catfish are very sensitive fish that only eat a small range of algae, mostly diatoms. Many of them are starving in the pet store before you even buy them, which is why they're only recommended for established, stable tanks with the right amount and the right variety of algae available. They're probably not the best choice for you, especially if the tank is new.

Have you considered, perhaps, a school of pygmy cories and a couple of african dwarf frogs? Both are adorable and have tons of personality, and they won't harm the betta. They also are unlikely to be attacked by the betta and don't have the swimming space needs that the rasboras would. Just some food for thought. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #8 
JKfish

Once again, thanks for replying.

Adastra: My petsmart doesn't sell pygmy cories, and only occasionally has the regular cories in stock, same for the ADFs, but if the store has any, I'll consider it :)

5) I have this old tree in my backyard that's been dead for some years and has finally been cut down. I'm not sure what type of tree it is, but even if it was a softwood tree, all the sap is gone. If I properly boiled a piece of it, could I use it as driftwood in my tank?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #9 
Adastra

I wouldn't, if even if the sap is dried out, it could still be harmful if the tree was a pine or cedar tree or similar. I don't think it would be possible to get the toxins out of it. Most Petco/Petsmarts sell bags of mopani wood for a couple of bucks. You get about 4 pieces in a range of sizes. Petco also sells pre-soaked malaysian driftwood--it's a little more expensive but it won't cloud your water and you'd only really need to boil it once just to sterilize it.

You should see if there are any local aquarium clubs or societies in your area. They are more common than you might think, and often you can get a large variety of fish from such organizations for a more than fair price.

Last edited by Adastra; 06-18-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #10 
JKfish

:) okay, better safe than sorry. I've been searching online for any clubs around me, but nothing has come up :/ Guess I'd better look a bit harder.

6) what is the best way to clean the API master test kit tubes after use? (I wash mine in scalding hot water with a tiny drop of soap and rinse repeatedly)

Last question (I promise ;D )

7) online, petsmart says corydora catfish get to be 4 inches long O_o is that true?

Last edited by JKfish; 06-18-2010 at 05:02 PM.