Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #1 
LMac54

Question On the fence!

I'm trying to choose between:

A 5 gallon - divided for my 2 boys. Each side is 2.5gal.

or

A 10 gallon - divided 3 ways. Each part is 3.4gal. I've really been wanting to get a 3rd betta. If I do a 3-way divide, I would put a female in the middle.

What do you think? I'm really hoping to go with the 10 gal split 3 ways... but I'm concerned about water circulation. Where can I put the heater and the filter so that everyone's "apartment" gets equal filtration and warm water? Would I have to get another filter/heater for the other side?

Also, if I have a female in the middle, do I need to worry about the boys on each side getting stressed out? (as opposed to another boy in there) I'm trying to decide between DIY black acrylic dividers (where it'll be harder to see through) and the (commercial or DIY) white mesh dividers.
LMac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:25 AM   #2 
LMac54

Also, could I get away with putting a male in the middle instead? Or would he just get too stressed out? In this case, I would DIY some black acrylic dividers, or paint the store-bought dividers black (with fish-safe paint).
Old 06-18-2010, 11:38 PM   #3 
LMac54

I would really appreciate some opinions. This is me trying to choose between a 5 Gallon Aquarium Starter kit from Tetra at Walmart and a nicer (slightly more expensive) 10 Gallon Aquarium Starter kit from Aqueon at Petco.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #4 
SaylorKennedy

They have 10 gallon kits at Walmart. I had one and they are actually really nice! Cheap too.

Either way, your boys will be in a divided tank. There will be flaring, but eventually they will get used to it. Use whichever divider you want to. Just make sure it's secure. So it's up to you if you want a third betta or just keep your two. If you have the money, bigger is definitely better so I'd go with the 10.

Just be sure to quarantine, quarantine, quarantine if you get a new fish! With the fish sharing the same water, it's easy for the things to spread around the tank which can be bad. Ideally 2 weeks would be good. Again, it's up to you if you want a male or female. Even if you divide your tank two ways, they'll still see a male so really your choice.

I'd put the heater and filter in the middle compartment. But if you're still concerned you could buy an air pump and tubing, get a gang valve and split up the tubing then attach an an airstone to each line and put an airstone in the end compartments, that will add for water movement. Some bettas don't like the bubbles, some love them.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:37 AM   #5 
LMac54

I'm a newbie to aquarium hardware, and I just started researching on different types of filters and I'm so overwhelmed!! Could you tell me what I should look for specifically when you talk about an air pump, tubing, and gang valve?

Just trying to figure out sponge filters is giving me a whole 'nother headache! (I hear they're the best kind?)

I'm also trying to look for the right kind of filter. I'm paranoid about too-strong currents... but I figure I can figure out how to DIY this 'baffle' thing that people keep talking about.

Last edited by LMac54; 06-19-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:44 AM   #6 
SaylorKennedy

Well, kits come with a filter and usually they're pretty good. The filter that came with the 10 gallon Walmart kit (It's an aqua-tech 5-15 filter) it did a very good job. I don't know about the aqueon filter though. You can just go ahead and make that filter baffle. You shouldn't have to worry about the flow after that.
Here's a link to it
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ghlight=baffle

Airpumps, tubing and gang valves you can all find at Walmart. I'd try the baffle with the filter the kit comes with first and see if that's enough water flow throughout the tank then start worrying about that stuff.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:51 AM   #7 
LMac54

So now I'm stuck between the PetCo and Walmart brand. The Walmart's AQUACULTURE Kit doesn't come with a heater. The PetCo AQUEON Deluxe kit comes with a heater and is more expensive.

If I buy the heater with the WalMart brand, it's all still going to be cheaper than the PetCo deluxe kit... but I'm real skeptical of anything coming out of Walmart. Does anyone else have any experiences with this AquaCulture/shady brand?
Old 06-19-2010, 05:19 AM   #8 
SaylorKennedy

I have the Aquaculture 10 gallon kit from Walmart, like I said. It's a really good kit, especially for the price. I have also boughten the Tetra 2-15 gallon heater they sell at Walmart and that worked perfectly.

Besides, Aquaculture is just the rebranded name of Marineland products, which by far has some of the best aquarium supplies in the fish tank business.

Lots of people here buy the 5/10 gallon kits so they're definitely doing something right.