Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #1 
Maryrox247

Unhappy Dividing 20 gallon?

Ok so my sorority is definitley NOT working our two of the females were immature males, the females are literally tearing eachother to shreds and i cant handle it. So what i want to do is give them back to the fish store and divide it four ways for males. So how do i make a homemade divider or where can i buy a real cheap ( but reliable) one that will fit my tank? My grandpa (he is in charge of pets) said i have to live with it. So, im just gonna try and convince him. In fact one of the girls is (not kidding) DYING...so yeah any help a.s.a.p would be GREAT! Thank you!!!!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #2 
Maryrox247

Anyone gonna help? Sorry im just really impatient!
Old 06-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #3 
bearwithfish

ok first thing i know you are in a hurry but yo have to give people time to read and think of solutions to suggest...LOL i have a 20 gal (high) that i split 3 ways using plastic canvas (wal-mart $2 for 6 sheets)
and those frames for posters (walmart3 for $4) just cut them to size and then cut the frames to go from bottom of the tank to the edge of the rim.. slid the plastic canvas in the frame edgeing you made .. slip it in the tank and wedge it in reall good ... you are all set.....
just remember they can still see eachother and while flarign if good for them they need to have a place to hide from tank mates so that they dont get stressed out.... hope this helps... also look in the DIY section of the main forum and there are a TON of idea on how to make stuff cheep and fun....
bearwithfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:05 AM   #4 
Maryrox247

Thanks! And yeah, i know i need to be more patient lol!
Old 06-19-2010, 02:07 AM   #5 
Maryrox247

Ok,from the looks of it im probably not gonna be able to divide the tank ( for a while at least) but im going to see if i can tone down the fighting. If all else fails though i will definitely beg my grandpa to let me.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:14 AM   #6 
Phoxly

Well how big is your sorority in the 20 gallon? Second, do you have lots of plants/hiding spots? Any cleaner fish/cory's?

Check out my divided tank if you need some inspiration: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=45372

Its not completed fully (as one betta died, and the left still needs some decor. :( but I recomend getting the Lee's Dividers, they have the big thick bumper and are easy to install. If your sorority is too small then they will fight, but if its a little bigger it will spread the aggression out.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #7 
Maryrox247

Yes I do have lots of plants and hiding spots and no i don't have any cleaner fish or corys, it's just my 8 girls. Well, actually one is a male and one is a male or very aggresive female so scratch that and make it 6 girls because i isolated those two.