Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #1 
weluvbettas

Question aladdin is not eating!! why?

i got aladdin on thursday and he has not eaten once i have tried pellets , flakes and bloodworms but he doesent even look at them he just swims past them is this normal? my other betta tigger did not do this when i got him.
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

He may need more time to adjust, every Betta is different, I would stop trying to feed him for a day or two and then try again after a water change. Remove any of the uneaten food.
If he still will not eat try adding a drop of fresh garlic juice to stimulate appetite, or try live foods like mosquito larva, you can also contact the place that you got him from and find out what they fed him, but usually some just need more time than others to adjust to the new location and/or new foods.
Is he fine otherwise, just not eating.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #3 
weluvbettas

well no he is very ill. i recued from the EVILpetstore he is about 4 months old (i think he hasa very bad case of fin rot. are they supposed to have quite short fins at 4 months?) he has got a bit of coulor but not much and he stays in one spot for about 5 to 10 minutes them he will swim round the tank for a few minutes then he goes back into his spot.
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Okay, I read this one before I seen the other post about this guy....

Because he is sick he may not have an appetite to start, however, he needs nutrition to help him heal and strengthen his immunity, but if he won't eat, he won't eat...rock and a hard place kinda thing....

Garlic juice fresh crushed can help stimulate the appetite, if you can do that I would give it a try or just keep up with the daily water changes and offer him food a couple of times each day until he starts to eat, remove any food that he doesn't eat and when he starts to eat only feed small amounts 2-3 times a day to start.
If you have live food like mosquito larva that would really help stimulate his hunting and eating instinct, only offer one at a time 3-4 times a day and remove them if he doesn't eat them so you don't have mosquito in the house.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote