Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #1 
BeccBecc

Newbie with some questions

Hi I'm new and I'm soon to be getting a male Betta fish. Are Platys okay to put with a male betta? And if they are, should I get male Platys or would females be more docile toward the Betta(I don't think they would mate?)

I was thinking of at least a 5 gal tank but have room for a 10 gal. I was hoping to get at least 3 Platys. I'm guessing the bigger the better, or would a 5 gal be okay?
BeccBecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #2 
Alexanderismylife

To put tankmates with bettas you have to have a 10 gal I do beileave....otherwise the tank is overstocked...I have tried platys in with my old betta Shadow and my sisters betta Sophie but I always had to seperate them for fin nipping...But I have heard other times when they have been kept together sucessfully! So maybe someone else can give you some more info! Hope I helped though! and Welcome to the forum!
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #3 
Sarada

I have 3 corys in my 5 gallon with my Betta BUT I am overstocked. I would recommend a 10 gallon. I'm hoping to upgrade so I can get a second Betta :P
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #4 
beta novice

the biggest tank you can get the better
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #5 
BeccBecc

Thanks guys. I might look into maybe another fish to put with the Betta then.

Can someone give me advice if a male Betta would mate with a different female fish?
Old 06-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #6 
beta novice

i have four platies in with my male a couple are female
Old 06-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccBecc View Post
Thanks guys. I might look into maybe another fish to put with the Betta then.

Can someone give me advice if a male Betta would mate with a different female fish?
If you are talking about a different species of fish like platy or guppies, no, they will not breed.
If you are getting a 5g tank, IMO, it will not be big enough for any other fish, but you could have shrimp or snails with proper water changes, and you have plenty of hiding places for the shrimp and sometimes some Betta will not tolerate shrimp even with lots of hiding places and will kill them, but most larger snail will be fine.
In a 10g you have more options for other tank mates
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #8 
BeccBecc

Thanks for the imput. I think I'll just keep the Betta by himself, I'll have to look into it more though
Old 06-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #9 
beta novice

if you ever need help or advice you can pm me
Old 06-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #10 
Adastra

I'm not a big fan of putting bettas in with mollies or platies--they have higher pH, salinity, hardness preferences than bettas do, and while bettas can somewhat adapt to these conditions, their fins usually suffer. Platies can also be aggressive toward bettas, and because of their bright colors, that can go the other way too, and the betta may attack the platies.

It's good advice to just keep the betta by themselves in a 5g tank, believe me, bettas are so beautiful and so full of personality, they don't need of other fish. They are show-stoppers all on their own. :)

Another note, if you are going to keep corydoras catfish, they should be allowed to be in schools of six or more. They are very social fish, and if they are kept in smaller groups they tend to be insecure, stressed, and do not live as long.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote