Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #11 
Lunatatice

Could I put my male betta in the same tank as some neon tetras? I was thinking about getting some neon tetras but i dunno if you can put them in the same tank. :)
Lunatatice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #12 
Adastra

Neon tetras are notorious fin nippers. I would not risk it unless the neons were in a large school of more than six individuals and the tank was at LEAST 10 gallons.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #13 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Some corycats is what you need.=)
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #14 
LucyLoofa

I've heard Gourami are good tank mates, and from what I've seen they're docile enough, but I think you would need a very mellow betta.
And I won't repeat the matter of tank size since you've already heard it a couple of times.
:)
I like guppies as an option, but haven't heard too much on that particular subject.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Gouramis and bettas are from thye same family and are too territorial and wouldn't get along.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #16 
beta novice

platies would deffintly get along with betta's
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #17 
Lunatatice

I have a 10 gal tank, but currently I'm keeping my betta fish in a starter kit tank (.5 gal). I'm planning to switch to the ten gal tank sometime soon to give my betta MUCH more room, but I want to get him some tank mates. I was thinking either a school of six neon tetras or two african dwarf frogs <--(I hear they get along with bettas, but I'll need to use a divider for feeding time) Any suggestions?
Lunatatice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #18 
Sarada

I haven't kept either but know that frogs make a mess. Have you considered Corycats? They have a lot of energy and are fun to watch.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #19 
Maryrox247

I have had my boy Roger with platys,neon tetras,harlequin rasboras, fancy guppies,and a rainbow tetra without a single problem! So i say any of these fish regardless of gender a safe with your betta as long as you keep an eye on him and the others and there is no excessive violence then its absolutely fine to house them together! And as for tank size the bigger the better! (provided you can handle keeping the tank clean and running of course!)I think you can have a max of 7 or 8 fish in a 10 gallon. (including your betta) But if your planning on housing him with fish that are larger (aka same size as him or a little less) such as swortails and jumbo platys (there are dwarfs and jumbos) then a max of 5 or 6 fish including him sounds much more appropriate. Good luck and have fun with your new betta!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think it depends on the personality of the betta. Some tolerate tankmates and some don't.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote