Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #1 
Friend Fish

I don't want to send him into shock!

Help! I just got my betta fish yesterday. He was lively and active yesterday but has been listless and resting near the top in one place today. He is in a 1.5 gallon tank and his water temp is heated to 79 degrees.

I'm thinking it's probably because I put him in distilled water -that's what the pet store told me to do so I didn't know that it didn't have enough minerals in it. I know that I probably need to get an aquarium test kit and correct all of the levels in it and I would also like to add 50% spring water.

But I don't want to shock him by such a sudden change in water quality. What should I do?
Friend Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:28 AM   #2 
Maryrox247

I would suggest first of all use tap water. (easy to access and plenty of it!) Make sure you keep using conditioner by the way! Next, put him in a cup,bowl or jar with his water. Then, do a 100% yes i said 100% water change using tap water and introduce him to his tank again. Float him for 5 minutes, empty his cup halfway then fill it back up with the new water and let him float for another 10 minutes and then release. If he is still lethargic after 2 days do a water test and if the water is fine give him a salt bath. Good luck!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #3 
Friend Fish

I am leery of using tap water because the water here is very, very chlorinated and has a lot of sulfur in it. Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-20-2010, 03:12 AM   #4 
Maryrox247

Hmm, in that case use bottled water but be sure to still use conditioner! By the way Kordon NovAqua and Kordon AmQuel work great together!!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:01 AM   #5 
Friend Fish

Thanks, Maryrox! My betta Monet is doing MUCH better today. Color is back, he is relaxing his fins and tail again, swimming around again. We did the 100% water change in 2.5 gallon tank, with spring water with both Kordon NovAqua and Kordon AmQuel. I'm waiting until tomorrow to try to feed him again. Thanks so much for the help!! :)
Old 06-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #6 
Adastra

Good to hear he's doing better! It is still a good idea to use some tap water in with the spring water--spring water varies widely and is mineral deficient. It might be cheaper in the long run to use reverese osmosis water from a pet store, and then add in a product like Kent's RO Right or Seachem's Equilibrium.

Bettas don't tend to be themselves when you first take them home, it's normal for them to be stressy and not want to eat. You should definitely look into getting a good liquid master test kit (not the strips, they're inaccurate and expensive!) so that you can cycle the tank in the future. If you haven't already, you should research the Nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a tank fishlessly.

Good luck with Monet!
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote