Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #21 
kuklachica

Update:

I received a response to my email. It looks promising, but I will follow up with a visit there in a couple of weeks. Following is my original email to Petco, and their response.

My email:

I sent in a concern about a month ago regarding overfeeding of the bettas and poor water conditions. After pointing this out to the assistant manager, she began to clean the dirtiest cups. Two weeks later I again visited the store. The majority of the bettas' water was either yellow or brown, floating debris, and some covered with mold and algae at the bottom. Almost all of the halfmoon and delta tail bettas had fin rot, as did many of the crown tails. I pointed out these conditions to an associate and he tried to explain to me that the water color was due to the plastic used to make the cups. I explained to him that this was not possible since some of the cups had clear water and other Petcos I frequent have clear and clean cups, he seemed surprised. He then instructed the fish associate to clean the water.

I am shocked that the care of the bettas has not improved, and that the store associates try to rationalize their poor care by blaming the plastic cups.

The bettas were very stressed due to the build up of ammonia in their cups as well as food. This could easily be avoided by more frequent water changes from better informed employees.

As a customer, I cannot condone this type of neglect, nor the disregard for animal care that is evident at this store. I will not be shopping here and will be encouraging others to shop elsewhere until the care for the bettas and response to customer concerns improve.

Petco's response (original, no corrections):

We received your concern about the sale of Bettas at PETCO. Thank you for taking your time to write us; we appreciate the opportunity to lay your concerns to rest. I would like to help address your concern regarding the betta containers in our stores.

I completely understand how upsetting it is seeing animals not taken cared the way they deserve to be. It is obvious you have a true passion for animals, and we at PETCO also share that passion. PETCO associates are trained to understand and to stress the importance of proper care and respect all animals deserve. We are committed to only selling healthy fish to our customers. Our standards of care ensure that all animals are checked-on every hour.

I know this is not your first email about the situation and this store does not seem to meet our high standards for animal care. I am sharing your concern with the District Manager so we can help resolve this. We have every confidence our managers will respond with urgency to make sure an animal has everything it needs and is in good health.
If you feel that the manager does not respond appropriately to a situation, please don’t hesitate to call us, toll free, at 888-824-PALS (7257). Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you again for contacting PETCO.

Sincerely,

This looks promising since in previous responses they did not forward my email to the district manager. Will keep on top of this.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #22 
sjones

wow! They mistreat animals so much they have a form letter to respond to complaints!
Sounds like it was written by a publicist/lawyer
Any how good work kiddo! keep me posted :)
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #23 
sjones

Here is my form letter I recieved

Thank you for contacting PETCO regarding your concern with our store at 220 MAINE MALL RD. We are sorry to hear about your recent experience.
We received your concern about the sale of Bettas at PETCO. Thank you for taking your time to write us; we appreciate the opportunity to lay your concerns to rest. I would like to help address your concern regarding the betta containers in our stores.
I completely understand how upsetting it is seeing animals not taken cared the way they deserve to be. It is obvious you have a true passion for animals, and we at PETCO also share that passion. PETCO associates are trained to understand and to stress the importance of proper care and respect all animals deserve.We are committed to only selling healthy fish to our customers. Our standards of care ensure that all animals are checked-on every hour.

If this store indeed does not meet our high standards for animal care, I am sharing your concern with the appropriate upper management so we can help resolve this at store level. We have every confidence our managers will respond with urgency to make sure an animal has everything it needs and is in good health.
If you feel that the manager does not respond appropriately to a situation, please don’t hesitate to call us, toll free, at 888-824-PALS (7257). Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you again for contacting PETCO.

Sincerely,
(name removed)
Customer Relations Coordinator

At PETCO, Animals Always Come First... Our People Make it Happen!
PETCO values your insights, so please tell us how we are doing on our customer service survey.

----------------------------------Original Message-----------------------------------

Veiltail betta had his fins completely removed and was laying in the top cup of the pyramid of betta cups. mutilated and dead.

Betas are often kept in dirty cups uncleaned and sick for weeks at this petco.

Please respond with your action via email, I will not give out my personal number.

I will be sharing these photos until change is made.

Last edited by sjones; 06-21-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:09 AM   #24 
metalbetta

Welcome to corporate America.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:25 AM   #25 
sjones

yay capitalism!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #26 
Maryrox247

I hope they keep their word and the bettas do get treated better! Good job! :D
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #27 
Inga

I have just recently decided to get "into fish" and have been spending more time in pet stores looking at fish then I wish to admit.

I have come to the conclusion that the few fish that make it into good homes that will care for them and keep their appropriately sized tanks clean and in good water conditions are rare. I suspect the chances of that are much like winning the lottery. So many fish die in transport to the stores, or at the stores from stress and abuse. Kids dipping their hands in the tanks trying to catch them, pouring stuff into the tanks.

There is not enough staff to keep the fish safe. The staff that is there often are not educated in how to properly care for fish and they pass wrong information on like it is free candy. Me being a newbie took their word for some of it, now I am catching on to how wrong it was.

The Betta's have always made me so sad seeing them in those horrid little cups. That is no life for a living being, IMO.

I hope you do send those pictures to Petco with your concerns. I hope more people will voice their concerns. It would be nice if they could house them in larger containers and have them behind glass so kids and mean adults cannot mess with them. It is just shameful to see any living being cared for in this manner

. So far, much of the fish experience has been very negative. I am enjoying the few fish I have and dread the idea of going back to any of those types of stores again.
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #28 
sjones

well the thing that makes me sad is the likelyhood that they will just hide the abuse. (behind closed doors)
ANd yes, the people who buy bettas often have no knowledge of how to care for them and they die or worse are abused.
I think education is really the key here.
Yes it would be so much more profitable for these pet stores to encourage people to get a proper set up for their betta fish, or even make them more desirable by setting them at a higher price.
But the issue here is really the buying and selling of animals, as long as there is a market for it people will keep supplying and breeding.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #29 
Feral Nature

I live out in a rural area and we have no pet stores. There is a Walmart in a town about 20 miles away that sells fish. The Bettas there are kept in miserable conditions. Females are sold there in little cups too. I am so tempted to buy them up and give them to loving homes but then they will just be replaced. What can I do?
Feral Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #30 
metalbetta

I couldn't tell ya, I'm going to have to make a trip to wal-mart tonight, and you and I both know I'm going to stop in the fish section and see a potential rescue. Due to space/sanity limits I probably would be unable to keep another. Rescuing/adopting out is a different story ;)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote