Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #1 
Jakr959

Angry Betta fights!

Ok this may be hard to believe but people torment Bettas! they put two males together and make them fight for money! JUST LIKE DOG FIGHTS! They also put to male tanks right next to eachothers so they will constently flare and Ram the glass! It stresses them out so much!
Here's a link of a person Making two males see eachother all the time! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqfbK...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n2Ol...eature=related

Last edited by Jakr959; 06-20-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Jakr959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I don't find it hard to believe at all. There are a lot of sick people out there that don't care for anything other than getting their kicks out of hurting something whether it's fish, larger animals, children, etc... etc...

I won't watch your link because just the thought of it turns my stomach.

Grrrrrrrr!!!
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #3 
beta novice

ik about this it makes me mad
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

They're not called Siamese Fighting Fish for nothing.

Honestly its a part of history. Without fish fighting we WOULD NOT have the fish we have today, plain and simple. Its the same with dogs used for fighting. As much as I detest dog fighting, without it there would not be many of the beautiful breeds I love.

That doesn't mean that its ok or morally right to fight animals, but you do have to accept that something good has come out of it.

From what I've read, the fish fights held today in Eastern Asia are nothing like the brawls you see on youtube. The fish are very well taken care of and the fights never end in death.

In his book "Exotic Aquarium Fishes," Dr. William T. Innes quotes a letter from Dr. Hugh M. Smith on the process of fighting fish in Thailand. Neither fish is killed, they are injured and that's why many societies consider the fighting unethical. The winner of the fight is judged by the fish who wishes to continue to fight after the other has backed down, not by which fish kills the other. Both fish are usually removed to separate homes and healed up.

We all will agree that in this society it is wrong. But for other societies it is a long held tradition, just as bullfighting was in Spain. Spain, however, is making great leaps towards banning bullfighting and possibly one day fish fighting will be outlawed as well. I don't believe there are even any laws against fish fighting in the US. I'm going to try to look that up.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #5 
Jakr959

Um FYI, Dogs were never bred for fighting! they were bred for hunting, In fact most of the breeds were cultivated because of hunting. then when the u.s started using them as pets, kennal clubs formed to breed show dogs. They were never bred for fighting ever! now the fighting of bettas, that has been a tration in the native culture.I dont have any problem with culture but the one video was just some moron that felt like putting his fish together for no reason besides being a moron and to see sence less horrible violece our society has been feeding off of for years!

Last edited by Jakr959; 06-20-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Obviously you don't know much about dogs. The American Pit Bull Terrier was cultivated through selected breeding of fighting dogs. Other breeds such as Bulldogs and Bull terriers were bred for the sport of Bull baiting, which you can google if you've never heard of it.

Not all dog breeds were bred for hunting. Some were bred to be guardians of livestock or people such as the Caucasian Ovcharka, Doberman Pinscher, and Rottweiler. Although the rottweiler was also bred to work pulling carts. Other breeds were bred for herding like Austrialian Shepherds, German Shepherds, and Collies. Yes some were bred for hunting but I would hardly say that most of the breeds out there were bred for hunting.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #7 
weluvbettas

i have a english bull terrier named molly she is soooo adorable and she would not hurt a fly!
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #8 
Phoxly

I was in petco the other day and this girl was telling a story about how her roomates settled a dispute about who got what room, they each picked out a male and made them fight and whoever's won got the room. .____. thats horrible.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #9 
Jakr959

ok i forgot about working dogs and spain did breed those dogs for fighting but they wised up and learnd it was wrong.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #10 
sjones

Jakr959 Thanks for caring enough to post this thread
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fights, mistreatment