Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #1 
smallvle

Going to cycle- help!

So I was stupid, and didn't wait till I had saved up some more money to buy a 5 gal tank, but instead blew half a bonus check I got at work on a 5 gal. *bad bad bad!* But anyway... since I now have a 5 gal tank.... : )

I happened to get a 5.5 gal reptile terranium, but it said it was water tight and the petsmart lady *said* it's double-sealed... Plus it was the ONLY 5 gal tank I could find w/o having to order online that was just a 5 gal glass rectangle tank and a screen cover w/ cutouts for cords that I could find. I've already rinsed it out well, and left it filled with water for a bit to make sure it wasn't leaking or anything. I also bought a API liquid PH test kit, though after reading for a bit on here, I think I bought the wrong kit. So I won't use it till I know if it's the right one i'll need to cycle a tank. (It was the only API liquid test kit walmart had.)

ANYWAY, I have tried to understand the cycling sticky that I kept stumbling across, but it was all gibberish to me, and I am getting so many conflicting ways to cycle a tank for the first time that I need help.

I have a 2.5 gal tank right now with one betta in it, (filtered and heated,) that gets a 50% water change once a week. Silk plant, gravel, a couple of caves. The filter has good bacteria established in it, and the gravel should also. I rinse off the plant and decor, but only vaccume the gravel, not rinse it. How do I seed my 5 gal to speed the process up? Seuss will have to stay in the 2.5 gal till the 5 gal is cycled and ready for him, so I hate to take all his gravel out to seed the new tank, but will if I have to.

I also bought Aponogeton bulbs, but am not sure when to plant them in the 5 gal, (while the tank is cycling? After it's done?) I also don't know anything about this plant, but will be googling it after I finish typing this post. (The package said it was for Bettas...) It has 4 bulbs in it, and I have no hood or light, but Seuss's tank does/ will get ALOT of indirect sunlight all day. But any plant advice as well as cycling advice is more than welcome!
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #2 
smallvle

I think I may return the bulbs and spend the extra couple of bucks for a java fern. What do you guys think?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

What kind of filter are you going to use on the new tank or are you going to use the one on the 2.5g?

On the pH test, if you can I would take it back, pH is important, but you really don't want to change the pH, most fish will adjust to the pH and be fine. I would get the API master test kit that test for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, the first 3 are more important and can make cycling easier and good testing products to have and use...both fun and easier and will last forever, cost is $20-30 and worth every cent.
Do you want to do a fishless cycle or fish-in cycle, IMO as long as you are dedicated on the needed water changes you can safely cycle with the fish and with established filter media and substrate you can jump start the process.

To be successful with plants you really need some light, the indirect sunlight is good, but not enough for some plants and you may end up with an algae farm.
Apons are a nice plant but they do best with the corm above the substrate and can be sensitive to being moved to much,
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #4 
smallvle

I've got a TOM internal mini filter right now, and was planning on using that in the 5 gal. (It says it goes up to 5 gal, and it is a *beast!* it can pump up to 45 gal an hour at full speed, i think, though right now at it's lowest setting and with the spray bar attachment, the current is perfect in my 2.5. I love that filter!) Anyway, : ) I think i'll try to take back the Ph test, and find that master one in the next few days. I also think i'm going to return my plant bulbs and (once I figure out when to add the plants/ start cycling,) will but a couple of live java ferns. When I googled them, it said that they were hardy, and liked low to medium light. If I have to i'll rig some kind of lightbulb or find a hood for this tank.

I want to do a fish-less cycle, because i've heard it is less stressful to the fish, and it might be quicker. Any advice on preventing algea, best plants to use, anything is greatly appreciated. : )

*edit* also forgot to add that sometime in the future, I would like to find a couple of buddies for Seuss. Just some fish, snails, something that I would be able to keep only 2 or 3 of, and Seuss wouldn't keep eating, or breed like crazy like i've heard happens with some snails. Any advice?

Last edited by smallvle; 06-21-2010 at 09:49 AM.