Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #1 
vilmarisv

Exclamation Clycling Resources anyone??

I've decided to use my filter on my 2.5 tanks but would like to cycle them first to make them the very best possible for my bettas.
I would love to use black sand as my substrate, just love the look of it.
Could anyone please post links or instructions to cycling you have?

Thank you so much!!!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

IMO-due to the number of water changes needed in that size tank you don't need to worry about the cycling per se'. That size needs at least 3 weekly water changes and one substrate vacuuming a week. However, with a filter the water changes could all be 50% and not a weekly 100% and this can make it easier on both you and the fish.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

That's pretty much what I do now w/o a filter.
Here's what I do when preparing my water for the NEXT change everytime I clean my tanks. I prepare 2 gal of water at a time
1ml NowAqua
1ml AmQuel +
1tsp Aquarium salt
6 drops of pH down (and still my water doesn't reach the 6.0 but I'm afraid to add more)

For 2.5 gal tanks with no filter, I'm doing 50% change every 2 days and full water change once a week.

I'm always very scared I'm doing the wrong thing for my fish since I haven't had them for long and I've lost 3. Although they didn't die because of problems with my water (2 jumped out of the tanks and 1 got stuck under a rock), I'm always afraid I'm doing something wrong.

I wonder if I should start over and go a completly different route with my tanks, that's why I wanted to cycle. But I would like info from someone who has succesfully had fish for a lond time... my water works, just don't know if it's the best.

Thanks again!
Old 06-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I have been keeping and breeding fish for well over 30 years, the last 10 years working with this species.

I would stop using the salt and the pH, Most fish will adjust to the pH without issue and be fine, those sudden swings from the lack of a buffer can be deadly.
Long term salt can cause kidney damage in this species and resistant to parasites/pathogens from long term and wrong dosages.
It is a great product for short term treatment for some problems.

Due to the water volume even with a filter, you can have build up of ammonia and DOC's from the fish waste, foods and other things, the only way to remove it is with a water change.
Lots of active growing live plants can change the water change needs to a degree with or without a filter in my experience.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

Wao! Thanks so much!
I don't mind the water changes, it's actually entertaining for me.
I'll stop using the pH down and the salt.
Is the combination of the Amquel and NovAqua ok or shoud I also change water conditioners?
I noticed today that my HM (one in my avatar) has a tiny rip on the very tip of his fin. What should I get to help him heal? Or should I leave it be?
Old 06-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

What a beautiful Betta, in my experience the best medication is clean dechloranated water, I don't use any of the OTC medications so I can't advise on any to use, IMO/E those medications tend to be too harsh and I have had better luck with treatments that are natural as well as preventive methods.
Your water change schedule IMO looks good- but when I have fin injuries I step my water changes up to 50-100% daily to promote healing and prevent secondary infection and feed high protein foods for at least 7-10 days and depending on the injury I may go longer.

Your dechloranator amounts I can't answer as I have never used either product, I am sure someone else will be along to help or make a new thread on just those products.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

Thank you! He's my all time favorite betta! But still doesnt have a name the poor guy... have lots of ideas, shoudll just stick with one :D

I really apreciate you taking the time to answer my Q's.
I'll watch my fish closely and keep up with the water changes as I'm worried that little rip will turn into fin roth.

I feed my fish Hikaru (sp?) baby pellets.
What sorth of high protein foods do you suggest?
Old 06-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

On the fish food label- look at the protein %, at least 40% will be fine, I make my own fish food (I have a lot of fish) and feed lots of live meaty foods like mosquito larva, guppy fry, chopped red worms, daphnia to my adult Bettas that are naturally high protein.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #9 
vilmarisv

Ok, I guess is off to the petstore to get better food for my little guy while he recuperates.
Thanks a bunch now I can start setting up my new tank! YAY!!