Betta Fish Forum banner

Lethargy and fear

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
Hi all, New to the forum, but not new to fish keeping. I have two bettas, the one that is acting strange I've had for about a little over a year. He resides in a 2.5 gal tank, water is declorinated and changed every 7-10 days. Latest change is three days ago with about a 1/8 tsp of aquarium salt.

Healthy up to now. A fin nipper though not severe so his fins always seem to look ragged. During his last water change, I lifted him out of the tank using his hiding glass. I've found this to be a very gentle way as not to scare him or stress him during his changes as he can scare fairly easily.

For some reason he freaked this time. Since the water change he is very reluctant to come to come up for food which he would eagerly do before. Yesterday and today I did get him to come up once or twice for a pellet but he dashed back to the bottom almost as if he were out of breath.

He also seems more lathargic. Though not as active as my other betta, he is less so now. Spending more time sleeping than before sometimes seeming to pant.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

#7 ·
Things are not looking good for my guy Ted. Water change today with more aquarium salt. No improvements and maybe worse. Doesn't seem to be coming up for food at all now. Is simply resting on the leaf of his plant. This is day 5. Water temp is 80 degrees. There is no bloating, no fin clamping. He just seems to be very lethargic. Some panting but not always. As a reminder, he started this 5 days ago with a water change when he got very freaked out and presumably stressed because of it. He's a somewhat skiddish guy anyway. Nothing has changed about his water. I'm baffled and pretty concerned.

#9 ·
Tank is not filtered, but I use filtered water. I agree that doing more frequent changes are important (I learned early on that often that is the cause and a quick and easy cure). I will continue to do that but am not holding out hope for water issues. Velvet was a good thought as well. I'm not seeing the usual signs including clenched fins, rubbing, or goldish flects on the body or gills. Will check more tonight in the dark. Thanks. Good brainstorming. Keeping fingers crossed.

#12 ·
Water filters like R/O, D/I, some bottled water can remove minerals and trace elements like, calcium, sodium, potassium, magnesium that are needed for fish health, if you use those type of filtered water you can add back those things with additives or use a 50/50 mix with your tap water.

Each fish ages differently and what you may be seeing in that fish could be age related especially when they have no other symptoms except being lethargic and off food when approaching the 2 year mark, sometimes you can see humping behind the head area or kinda hump backed and the tail droops more than normal and the face can sometimes lighten in color, but not always. Its not fair to compare two different fish even when they receive the same care due to other factors at play, like overall general heath, water temp, genetic, nutrition, exercise, water quality...etc.....not saying that what you are seeing is age related just that it could be and you being an experienced fish keeper know that we can't do much about that issue....just tossing out more ideas.....

#13 ·
That I did not know. I checked my water filtration system which is a British Berkfeld (Berkey). It does not appear it is one that you describe. I hear you about age and I wondered about his age when I got him. He was definately very different from the rest of the stock. I suspect he was used for breeding before being sold. And speaking of age, my mother's betta is somewhere around 6 years old! I have no idea what she does differently than I do and she uses cheap food. So your points about genetics, general health, etc really play out.

#14 ·
I'm pretty worried now and we are up to about day 9 or 10. I have done as suggested. Here's all...
-Temp stable and warm
-Frequent water changes (either 50% or 100% every day for past 6 days)
-Aquarium salt
-Covered with towel and reduced stress
-Fasted 3 days
-Attempted feeding pea
-Attempted feeing flakes
Update...Not eating at all, no poo, continues to be lethargic and panting. Fins, scales, color all remain normal with no changes.

#15 ·
I would continue with the 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and try adding a drop of fresh garlic juice on his food and see if that won't stimulate his appetite, get the temp up in the 80Farea.
Also, if you have access to mosquito larva try dropping one in and if he eats it, give him 3 larva 3-4 times a day.

You have had him for a year, correct, and he was most likely 6-8 months old when you got him and some of what you are seeing could be age related and not much you can do but keep him comfy, every fish is different when it come to age, it can depend on many factors like, genetic, exercise, water quality, foods...etc.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.