Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #11 
peaceablegarden

Yes, have had him and a buddy for well over a year (gee it may be closer to two years now). Both use the same water. My other guy is great. Not sure what minerals it might be removing. Have tested the water myself (using API) and also used it for my fish tanks.
peaceablegarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Water filters like R/O, D/I, some bottled water can remove minerals and trace elements like, calcium, sodium, potassium, magnesium that are needed for fish health, if you use those type of filtered water you can add back those things with additives or use a 50/50 mix with your tap water.

Each fish ages differently and what you may be seeing in that fish could be age related especially when they have no other symptoms except being lethargic and off food when approaching the 2 year mark, sometimes you can see humping behind the head area or kinda hump backed and the tail droops more than normal and the face can sometimes lighten in color, but not always. Its not fair to compare two different fish even when they receive the same care due to other factors at play, like overall general heath, water temp, genetic, nutrition, exercise, water quality...etc.....not saying that what you are seeing is age related just that it could be and you being an experienced fish keeper know that we can't do much about that issue....just tossing out more ideas.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #13 
peaceablegarden

That I did not know. I checked my water filtration system which is a British Berkfeld (Berkey). It does not appear it is one that you describe. I hear you about age and I wondered about his age when I got him. He was definately very different from the rest of the stock. I suspect he was used for breeding before being sold. And speaking of age, my mother's betta is somewhere around 6 years old! I have no idea what she does differently than I do and she uses cheap food. So your points about genetics, general health, etc really play out.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #14 
peaceablegarden

I'm pretty worried now and we are up to about day 9 or 10. I have done as suggested. Here's all...
-Temp stable and warm
-Frequent water changes (either 50% or 100% every day for past 6 days)
-Aquarium salt
-Covered with towel and reduced stress
-Fasted 3 days
-Attempted feeding pea
-Attempted feeing flakes
Update...Not eating at all, no poo, continues to be lethargic and panting. Fins, scales, color all remain normal with no changes.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

I would continue with the 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and try adding a drop of fresh garlic juice on his food and see if that won't stimulate his appetite, get the temp up in the 80Farea.
Also, if you have access to mosquito larva try dropping one in and if he eats it, give him 3 larva 3-4 times a day.

You have had him for a year, correct, and he was most likely 6-8 months old when you got him and some of what you are seeing could be age related and not much you can do but keep him comfy, every fish is different when it come to age, it can depend on many factors like, genetic, exercise, water quality, foods...etc.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote