Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2010, 01:42 AM   #1 
wallywestisthebest333

Unhappy Sudden clamp!!!

HELP!!! <=[

Noface/Alakazam has developed an EXTREMELY sudden case of clamp I think. =[

I was changing his water (waiting for it to filter through my britta pitcher to fill his and Genie's 1 gallon jar and 1 gallon vase respectively) and while I was doing that I left them in their (cleaned) pet store cups (which I've been doing up till now).

Unfortunately I guess I wasn't paying attention because I set their cups right beside each other without a sight barrier. It took twenty minutes for everything to filter for his jar (which I did first) and to get everything salted, conditioned, and fungal treated (I'm alternating garlic pieces in the tank and fungal medicine on an every other day basis.).

When I got back to my room where both of their homes are set up, I discovered that where Alakazam/Noface's Caudal fin had been full and flowy it was now tight and clamped looking and he looked kinda freaked.

I don't think it's fungal because I've been treating for finrot for a while now and it seems to be subsiding.

Right now he's sitting at the bottom of his 78 degree jar being uncharacteristically very lethargic. <=[

Could this be from stress?

If so how do I help it?

From concern that it might actually be fungal I added garlic pieces even though this was a fungal medicine day and I already dosed his jar. =[

We're also flea bombing my house tomorrow. I'm putting their homes and the 5 gallon outside in the morning and I'll call my mom on my break to put them back inside. Thought I'd mention that.

Also I think I might be over medicating. =/ Not sure.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:44 AM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

Sorry about the overload. Don't get much free time these days. =/
Old 06-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

bump
Old 06-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

Ok so I just changed his water this morning (I was worried about him sitting in all the stuff I had in his tank all day while I'm at work).

The only things in his tank now are dechlorinator, a tsp. of aquarium salt (he's in a 1 gallon jar with no gravel), and some garlic pieces along with garlic soaked pellets.

Is there anything I can do? His caudal fin resembles a lock of wavy/lightly curled hair. =[ I'd take pictures but I have no time and they never turn out well anyway. =[
Old 06-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

How often and how much are the water changes and how long have you been treating them?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

100% daily. Almost 2 weeks now. This only happened two days ago though. Before that he was fine. =[
Sorry I didn't reply yesterday. I was at work and when I got off the power was out till 12:00 AM. =[
Old 06-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I would not keep garlic juice or garlic piece in the tank for any period of time, if you feel the need to use garlic only use a drop or two of fresh juice on the food and feed one pellet at a time and remove any uneaten food. Never leave any food items in the tank, the decay will produce ammonia and toxin and can make the fish worse.

I use fresh garlic in my homemade food and feed daily as part of the diet for all my fish and any uneaten food is removed ASAP so not to foul the water.
I use a special feeding program with garlic for the wild caught fish I collect for natural parasite treatment to purge their system, encourage appetite and build immunity.

Although fresh garlic can help appetite, build immunity due to increased appetite, the improved nutrition is more linked so that the fish can help them self with long term nutrition needs. I have not found garlic directly linked to healing fin rot per se' with short term feeding.

Clean fresh, dechloranated water is the best medication I have found, making daily 50-100% water changes depending on the set-up and removing any and all uneaten foods can be a very effective treatment for most ailment our fish can suffer.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

Yeah I took the garlic out today when I did his water change. He wouldn't eat when the garlic was in there. I'm hoping he'll eat some today. =[

I'll just keep his water clean and untreated except for aquarium salt from now on.

Thank you so much OFL!!!!! <=]
Old 06-29-2010, 03:46 AM   #9 
wallywestisthebest333

Well I took the best care of him that I could but he died on the 25th. I haven't had much time to get on here recently so I thought I'd just post it now.

I wasn't here when it happened. I was staying at my friends' (an hour away) and we were traveling to a city and hour away from their home to do some shopping and sight seeing. My mom called me in the morning to tell me he had stopped moving and that his gills weren't moving either. <=[

She asked me what I wanted to do. I told her that I wanted to bury him but that he'd have the house stunk up till the time I was gonna get home (1 or 2 the next morning) so she should just flush him. <=[

It's silly but I came home and couldn't bring myself to empty out his tank/jar and clean it so it's just sitting there on my dresser right next to Genie's tank/vase as I type this. I was really sad that morning when I went to feed genie and I realized that Alakazam was really gone and I'd never be able to feed him again! <=[

I really miss him and I feel awful that despite my work and attention he still died.
I'm just glad he's with God now in a nice warm [lace where he can be warm, happy, healthy, and swim around and blow bubble nests all day. <=]

Sorry for the long, ranty, sappy post. It's just that I haven't gotten to really sit down and think/talk/reflect on it and I thought you all should know what happened.

I love you Alakazam and I hope that if you're reborn into another betta that I someday own that betta and get to have another chance with you. <=] You were such a joy and fun to watch!

Love your owner,
WallyWestIsTheBest333
Old 06-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about your fish! Sometimes they die even when we've done everything we could for them. I'm sure you gave him a wonderful home with lots of love.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clamp, finrot, medicine, stress, sudden