Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #21 
shmifty5

Wink

Just a tip for anyone reading this that wants to use a food based fishless cycle, place the food in a nylon bag or a thin sock, this keeps the food in the same place (no nasty gunk floating around) and it provides an excellent living space for the bacteria, you can also place an airstone (attached to an air-pump, lol) in the bag with the food so that there is plenty of good aeration and the food is in constant motion (more energy = faster decay).

I always use the bag/sock method and my tanks tend to cycle faster.
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 AM   #22 
LMac54

Reposting my last questions...

I've gotten just a few live plants. 2 Marimo balls, 2 coconut huts w/moss on them, 1 java fern and 1 anubias. I think I'll be doing a mix of live and silk plants.

After searching FOREVER and EVERYWHERE for pure ammonia, I finally found some, but on Wednesday. On Monday and Tuesday I used fish food, but since I got ammonia, I switched over to using ammonia instead. Is that okay to do so early? I'm considering Wednesday as DAY 1 of the cycling.

Everyday, I've been using about 10drops of ammonia to get to about 5ppm. Just today I think I've been getting nitrite readings. I can't read colors worth a d*mn (it doesn't quite look like that blue 0 reading, but not quite the .25 reading) so I'm just considering it about .15 on nitrites.

When should I start testing for nitrates?

Now that I see nitrites, should I be lowering the amount of ammonia drops in the tank? Or should I continue to use my 10drops to get to ~5ppm?
LMac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #23 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMac54 View Post
Reposting my last questions...

I've gotten just a few live plants. 2 Marimo balls, 2 coconut huts w/moss on them, 1 java fern and 1 anubias. I think I'll be doing a mix of live and silk plants.

After searching FOREVER and EVERYWHERE for pure ammonia, I finally found some, but on Wednesday. On Monday and Tuesday I used fish food, but since I got ammonia, I switched over to using ammonia instead. Is that okay to do so early? I'm considering Wednesday as DAY 1 of the cycling.

Everyday, I've been using about 10drops of ammonia to get to about 5ppm. Just today I think I've been getting nitrite readings. I can't read colors worth a d*mn (it doesn't quite look like that blue 0 reading, but not quite the .25 reading) so I'm just considering it about .15 on nitrites.

When should I start testing for nitrates?

Now that I see nitrites, should I be lowering the amount of ammonia drops in the tank? Or should I continue to use my 10drops to get to ~5ppm?

If you are indeed seeing nitrites (be sure),, then reducing the amount of ammonia by one half is recommended. Continue with the half dosing daily until nitrites tests zero and nitrates are recorded.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote