Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #1 
Hermitpaws

Exclamation is something wrong????

Lona won't stop going up and down the side like she trying to get out. i have plenty of plant and a hiding cave in her tank. i had a snail in with her but she didn't even notice it! the tank is 2 gallons no filter/heater i feed her 3-4 Cut up pellets a day except Mondays (today) the water, i did a 50% water change yesterday cuz it was very cloudy.

Over all:

is something wrong?
and also: how often should i change the water?( note the snail is no long with her and no filter)

thanks
-Hermitpaws
Hermitpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

In a 2g tank without a filter, I would do 1-2 50% weekly water changes and 1-100% water change a week.
Often when a fish is running the walls something is wrong with the water, you may want to do daily 50% water changes for 3-4 days to rule that out as the problem.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #3 
dr2b

I think she might see her reflection.

I agree with Oldfishlady on the water changes.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #4 
Hermitpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
I think she might see her reflection.

I agree with Oldfishlady on the water changes.
i can tell you is not her reflection, but thanks for the suggestion of it.

Also the problem has kinda Change in a way, i managed to get my hands on a new filter. she still does the same thing even though is been running for about 6 hours. i also tested the ph levels and they are normal.

I'm going to still do the 2 50% water changes like you said for a few weeks, but now im wondering, could it be that shes just lonely? she was sitting right next to 2 other small females her size on the store shelf...
Old 06-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #5 
Adastra

Sometimes when bettas are confined, they develop a behavior known as "glass surfing"--this is because the betta does not have much in the way of swimming space and not enough environmental enrichment to keep them stimulated. It's not loneliness as much as it is boredom. Try putting colorful interesting objects around the tank, bettas will spend time studying them and looking them over. Also, try adding more to her environment, like colorful marbles or a ping pong ball for her to push around. Different fish respond to different things, I once had a male that was very entertained by dark blue marbles but wasn't motivated by much else, another one who used to love trying to flop on top if the indian almond leaves I often leave floating at the top. Silly things.

The best solution for you might be to get a bigger tank, especially if she is in one of those hexagon or compact cube shaped tanks. Rectangular tanks provide more swimming space.

And definitely keep up with those water changes. Even though the water doesn't look dirty, fish constantly excrete ammonia through their gills, kind of like urine, which quickly builds up in the water and can be extremely harmful.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #6 
Hermitpaws

ok thanks