Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #1 
ClassicCharm

Please Help Me Sort out My Sorority!

Hello all, I think I need some help here. :(

Here's the story: a while ago (march maybe?)I decided that I wanted to start a sorority. I bought a ten gallon tank with lots of decorations (all artificial plants), a filter, and a lamp. My house is kept at a stifling 85 degrees and once that changes, they'll be getting a heater. Having received some bad advice, I bought three girls and put them in. They only wanted to kill each other, so I put them in individual tanks because at the time, I didn't really have the time or money to get more to balance out the sorority.

A little over a week ago, I bought two new girls and put all five into the ten gallon. My three who were all raised individually are all big, bright, and active. The other two are quite a bit smaller, but they were fairly active and were both eating. Last week I noticed that one of my two new girls, the little red one, was a little swollen, her belly had turned sort of gold-grey (no pine-coning), and she was spending a lot of time on the bottom of the tank. I pulled her out and put her into her own tank, where I realized she had little white flecks on her body and fins. Assuming Ich, I put her under a heat lamp, covered the bowl with a dark towel, and did full bowl changes daily. I also fasted her. Well actually, I had to go away for four days so I left my roommate in charge of her bowl changes. When I got back last night, the Ich was gone but she was lying on the bottom of her bowl only coming up for air. She was less swollen, but still discoloured. Today, I found her dead.

Now I'm concerned for the other new one, simply because she's smaller and less active than my original three. Today she seems to be spending a lot of time hiding. Should I take her out and try to raise her on her own until she's bigger or will moving her just cause more stress? I'm not sure what to do :(

The water is tap water treated with a de-chlorinator and Stress Zyme. Full tank changes once a week. I had the water tested before I started the original Sorority, and everything was good (though it was low bacteria because of the 100% changes, hence the Stress Zyme addition), but I haven't had it tested since.

What am I doing wrong?? These aren't the first problems I've had with females :(

Last edited by ClassicCharm; 06-21-2010 at 11:36 AM.
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #2 
ClassicCharm

Please!!

I'm in the process of completely scouring the tank. Cleaning with vinegar, rinsing meticulously with hot water. In the meantime, my other little one is barely active in her cup :( :(
Old 06-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #3 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Umm did you cycle the tank?
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #4 
ClassicCharm

No I didn't :(

Here's the update:

I put all four females in individual cups while I was cleaning the tank (which is how I always do it). The tank was cleaned with vinegar and thoroughly rinsed with Hot water. I added the normal de-chlorinator as well as aquarium salt. The water temperature is also warmer (thank goodness it's a hot one today).

While in their cups, I noticed one of my other girls (Clarice) had the white spots as well. In the short space of time she was in the cup, they got much worse and she started looking rather lethargic.

So then I had Margot, my new girl who was looking lethargic, and Clarice, one of my original three who now has Ich.

All four went back into the tank. Margot is definitely more active. She's hiding in the plants instead of hiding in the rocks lying on the bottom of the tank. Clarice was chasing the others around (normal as she's the dominant), but then went to hide in the castle. Now she alternates between coming out to swim around and hiding in the castle. Her colour isn't great, but at least she's a little more active.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong, other than not cycling?
Is there anything else I can do?
Should I have kept Clarice isolated since she's worse off? I thought about that but hesitated as I didn't want to stress her out any more.
Should I feed them? All or just the healthy ones? Or keep fasting?
Should they be open or covered? Light or dark?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm doubting what I thought before and I want to do what's best for them.

Please, if you have any advice! I just want my girls to be healthy!

Last edited by ClassicCharm; 06-21-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Sorry, one more question
Old 06-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #5 
Alienbetta1
Banned

You'll probably want to isolated her.Well if there bloated don't but if not feed em.Covered with the lest noise as possible.Get some ick medicine and treat the sick ones with it in separate tanks.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #6 
vaygirl

It sounds like they have ich. Does the white look like little salt particles on her?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #7 
SaylorKennedy

Well, if your 10 gallon has been running since march, then it probably already cycled itself. With ich, you have to treat the whole tank as ich moves in 3 stages. This is where an adjustable heater comes in. You need to keep the tank at a steady temp. For ich you'll want to raise it 83+ I can imagine that with all the temp fluctuations the tank may have gone through could have stressed your girls out making them susceptable to the ich in the first place. Or the new girls could have already had ich when you got them thus spreading it to the rest of the tank.

This will help you understand and treat ich.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php
Adding the salt also was good as that helps kill ich.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #8 
SaylorKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienbetta1 View Post
You'll probably want to isolated her.Well if there bloated don't but if not feed em.Covered with the lest noise as possible.Get some ick medicine and treat the sick ones with it in separate tanks.
That's wrong information, AB1.
The whole tank is infected so the whole tank needs to be treated. Seperating them does nothing...
Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #9 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Oops my bad.=(
Old 06-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #10 
SaylorKennedy

That's okay. Just have to know what you're talking about before giving advice. I'm sure some of your betta books has info about ich, you should learn about it.