Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #1 
BerkB33

Stubborn fin rot!

I've got a 10 gallon split into 4 "apartments." Bought a betta from aquabid and during shipping he got cold. Heat pack didn't last long enough apparently. Soon the new resident developed fin rot...soon EVERYBODY had fin rot. Been changing the water at least 50% everyday and "sucking gravel" once a week for two weeks. Still slowly losing finnage. About ready to resort to tetracycline or something. Any suggestions? The tank does have an under gravel filter with floss/charcoal at the discharge. Is under gravel filtration not a good idea with bettas?
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #2 
gahcrazy

Thats the one thing that sucks about Bettas. Whenever that has happened to me i put the guys into smaller tanks bythemselves and do water changes every day or two. sometimes i add salt sometimes i don't. After a few weeks can't tell they had fin rot. (knock on wood)
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #3 
BerkB33

Yeah, I've done freshwater tropicals for over 40 years and just got in to bettas the last few months. Those fins are pretty "touchy" and once the rot starts...look out! The thought of seperating them did occur to me...what a hassle. Well, I bought 'em...gotta do what's right by 'em. Guess I'll go check the wife's vase cupboard. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #4 
gahcrazy

I'm not saying thats the only nor the best answer, it's just been my experence. seems to work well for me. The meds don't really do much, so far as i could tell. The freash water dose tons of good for them. Please note that i've NEVER tried dealing with finrot when the boys were in the same tank. That might work, may just take longer to see results. What ever you chose, good luck!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #5 
beta novice

i am not trying to be rude but this is in the wrong section
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #6 
BerkB33

Talking

Thanks for the help GC. I tried one more week with them all in the 10 gallon...patience SEEMS to be paying off. the "stringy-ness" has disappeared and there's actually new growth on three of the four guys. 'Ol Colonel Mustard, the old dude, he's a little slower, but is improving too. Thanks again for your help. Just wanted to FYI back to let you know how it is shakin' out.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #7 
gahcrazy

Cool