Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #1 
KristiLee

Exclamation Will be gone for 2 weeks. What to do?

Iím leaving on the 29th of June to visit some family out of state. I wonít be back until the 11th of July (a little less than two weeks later). I have no idea what to do about Henryís water changes.

Heís in a 2.5 gal, heated, filtered tank.

My mother refuses to do water changes, probably because sheís afraid sheíll hurt/kill him. But at least sheís more than willing to feed him =P.

Iíve left him for a week before when I went out of state, and he was fine. However, this is almost 2x as long, so I donít know how heíll do.

When I was gone that week, I had my mother feed him once a day, every 3 days. Also, when his tank water got low (for some reason, probably just evaporation, his water levels slowly drop) I told her to top it off with room temp bottled water. Since it was only a little bit at a time, it didnít change the temp too much. Iím not too concerned about small temp changes since Henry handles them like a pro (I learned this when bringing him home from school and then back again on multiple occasions, when his temp would drop by 5*+, and it didnít even phase him). When I got back, he was as happy and healthy as always.

I think what Iíll do is order some bottled betta water from the pet store when I order more filter cartridges (which Iíll do today) for my mom to top off the tank with instead of normal bottled water (itís easier than conditioning just a small amount of tap water to use), and have her feed Henry once a day, every 3-4 days (any less and heíll hate us forever =P. He LOVES his food).

Will this be fine? Will he be ok without a water change for 12-13 days as long as his tank is still filtered, has his water topped off, and he gets cut back on his feedings (I know itís *far* from idealÖ But itís all I can do)? I think Iíve read about something that you can put in the tank if it has to go through a small period of time without changes that helps counteract the effects of not being changed?

Heís survived being in a Ĺ gal for a week without water changes before and did fine (I know itís terrible, but my school gave out free Ĺ gal tanks along with coupons for a free betta. Thatís how I got Henry. BUT right after I got him I ordered him a bigger tank). So if he can do fine with that, he should be fine in a filtered 2.5 for 2 weeks, hopefully?

Any advice will help immensely. Just remember that there is no way his water can be changed, seeing as there is no one willing to change it (or who I would trust to change it).

Thank you all so much!!
KristiLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #2 
KristiLee

Could I just have her add Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Accu-Clear once a week until I get back to clean it?
Old 06-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

If I had to leave for 14 days and no one to make the water changes for me in a 2.5g filter tank.
I would get lots of plants, floaters like water lettuce or hornwort that will use the ammonia created by the fish and not feed the fish during the time I was gone.
I would make at least 3 50% water changes before I left with a good substrate vacuuming and swish/rinse the filter media in old tank water on the first of 3-50% WC.
I would have a pre-mixed jug of dechloranted water near by for the fish sitter to use for top offs and turning the light off at night as the only instructions for care if they are unwilling to make water changes.
Water quality issues IMO/E are more of a worry for me than feeding....but that is me.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #4 
KristiLee

Yeah I'm more concerned about ammonia build up than anything.. And I don't have the money to get any plants for him for those two weeks =/

Edit: I don't have the money right NOW to get it, but I get paid soon enough. So I'll just look for some water lettuce, and buy it once I get paid. I'll just have my mom put it in the tank when it arrives. Is there anything special you're supposed to do with it?

Last edited by KristiLee; 06-20-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

No, just drop in and let it float on top, you can't find any hornwort at any local fish shop, thats a good floater too, personally I like water lettuce but hornwort is just as good and sometimes easier to find, also if you have and pond related shops that sell Koi and pond supplies that is a good place to find water lettuce, most of our nursery or greenhouses in my area sell pond supplies and water plants, might check those places and get it cheaper than mail-order...just a thought....some will even have duck weed or frogbit and those are good floaters for ammonia up-take and some places give that stuff away.....a friend or neighbor with a Koi/goldfish pond?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #6 
KristiLee

I don't know of any people/places nearby that have any of those; I'd have to purchase online. I looked up some info on water lettuce, and I fear it may grow too big for Henry's tank (2.5 minibow). I haven't looked into the others much, but I'll do that soon. I just need to find something smaller, affordable, and ok in just artificial light.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

My water lettuce get about 2 inches in diameter with roots 2-4 inches that hang in the water column in my tanks some up to 3 inch in 1.5-2.5wpg of artificial light 6500k, they have babies that grow off the side and I use those in my smaller tanks and in my cups/jars when I separate the males.
In my 250g tank outside that get direct sunlight, now those get up to 6-8 inches in diameter and the roots as long as 6-10 inches, depending on your lights they won't outgrow the tank and if/when they do just remove them and keep their babies/plantletts.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #8 
KristiLee

Will any of those be bothered by a filter current??
Old 06-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Mine don't have a problem with current
Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #10 
Adastra

Java moss is pretty readily available at most pet stores--it's impossible to kill and it is a very good ammonia sponge. Hornwort can get very messy if it's not well-fed and shed its fronds all over the place.

You could get a timer for your light at most hardware stores--I got mine at Ace Hardware for a couple of bucks. Two weeks is a pretty long time--hopefully your mom will be willing to do a little bit of water changing.

You might also get some extra carbon to help with the ammonia. Matrix carbon is a good brand, and if you buy filter cartridges with carbon in them, it's much better to simply cut the floss and replace the carbon than it is to get a new cartridge entirely.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote