Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #1 
Bigbul

New Owner, few questions.

Hi there,

After some discussion with my girlfriend we have decided to go ahead and and add a new member to our family - Meetee who is a beautiful male Betta. I have read the must read posts, and am trying to gather a bit more information.

After we purchased him and a tank for him, I was a bit skeptical of the tank size we have purchased which was recommended to us. So I went home and did some digging and was shocked to find out all of the wealth of information I have found on this forum. I am appalled to learn that they informed us on purchasing a tank so small (it's only about a gallon.)
So I have a few questions to ask, and hope you all can help me!

I will be leaving to the pet store very soon, and wanted to double check here to see if these would be good purchases.

This is the tank I was considering. Will it be large enough? Would you suggest something else?

http://www.petco.com/product/13809/Marineland-Eclipse-Corner-5-Aquarium-Kit.aspx?CoreCat=FishFC_Tanks

And this is what I am considering to keep him warm and cozy.

http://www.petco.com/product/102429/Hydor-Mini-Aquarium-Heater.aspx?CoreCat=LN_Shopping_FishSupplies_Heate rs

Also, is it possible that this heater will overheat the tank? That scares me very much.

Good match? If not please let me know as I want to provide the best possible comfort for our new companion and want everything to be just right.

Until them we have a space heater in the room keeping his water temperature warm enough, I keep measuring it to be safe.

Thank you so much!

Last edited by Bigbul; 07-04-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Bigbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

IMO...
Eclipse system will be a heaven for you little guy if you want to go with something that expensive. At walmart you can pick up a 5 galon tank kit for $30, saw it on their website after someone mentioned it in one of the forums.

As for the heater, I talk from experience, do not get the hydor! The heater doesn't have a thermostat and will always be on even when the water is too warm for your fish.
You want something that will shut on and off. Look at the Marineland and the Aqueon heaters.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote