Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #1 
Sicklidae

Hi, I'm kind of new to this betta thing.

Okay, so, I'm not a newbie to fish keeping, I grew up with reef tanks. I started keeping freshwater fish in high school, mainly S. American blackwater tanks. <3

But, I recently moved, and had to leave my tank behind, and now I want to try my hand at keeping a betta. I have thought about it before, and have done some research in the past.

I went to the LFS, and looked around at some tanks. An employee approached me, and asked me if I needed any help, I told her I was looking for a 5 gallon tank. She asked me what I planned on putting in it, and I told her I was going to get a betta.

Well she didn't like that. She went off about how thats too big, and the betta wont like it, and that I need to put a betta in a small bowl. She brings me over to a section of very decorative urine-sample-sized containers, and told me that bettas should be kept in one of them, not a tank.
I asked her how I was supposed to put a filter and a heater in something that small, and she said that heaters and filters are bad for bettas, and that they will kill them.

Well, thats why I never listen to pet store employees.

Soooo....

I still have no tank. Someone has a 2.5 gal mini bow aquarium kit that they are going to give me, for free!
Some people say that that is good enough for one betta. Is it really? Do they make heaters for tanks that small?
I'm not so sure, so I figured I would ask.
Sicklidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Since you are experienced with general fish care I would go with the Free 2.5g and the 5g....

Filters are fine but not needed per se' in a 2.5g tank IMO, more due to the number of water changes that need to be done in that size tank to keep the water quality high to prevent health and especially fin issues.
A 2.5g can cycle with a filter-along with twice weekly 50% water changes to maintain water quality, without a filter you would need to make one of the 50% a 100% a week to make 50% and 100% a week.

Water temp needs to be stable in the 78-80F area- so you need a heater and they have heaters that will safely heat a 2.5g.

Love the pet store employees with all the great advice they give..laffs...

The 5g would be fine too, Betta sometimes can get stressed in too big of a tank until they adjust and most will adjust to the bigger tank, however, some never adjust and will hide and stress, so its not that they can't be in bigger tanks it is more they won't because they have never been in such a large space.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping and I would get both of the tanks because you will need them...one Betta nearly always leads to another...kinda like potato chips...laffs....

Looking forward to pic.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #3 
frogipoi

Yes and don't worry. Bettas are easy tto work with!
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #4 
Sicklidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping and I would get both of the tanks because you will need them...one Betta nearly always leads to another...kinda like potato chips...laffs....
Oh trust me, I know how that is With my community tanks in the past, a 10 gallon lead to a 29 gallon which led to a 55 gallon. It's so addicting!

So the 2.5 would be okay? I just need to do the water changes. That sounds alright.
At least its not like doing a water change for a 55 gal! lol... drag out the python, and make sure you don't forget about it, and end up with soggy floors. Fun times.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I hear that....I love my pythons...and they sure make water changes easy on the big tanks and on the back...... on these little tanks I made my own little siphon with airline tubing, a couple of shop-sticks and twist ties, but mostly I use a cup since I have masses of plants and don't vacuum the substrate.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #6 
Sicklidae

Yea, I was planning on using a cup.
I want to get some live plants in there for the little guy too.

I'm off to go pick up my new free tank, wooo, so excited!!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #7 
Sicklidae

Here is the 2.5 gal I got for free.

It's kinda dusty.

Last edited by Sicklidae; 07-03-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #8 
frogipoi

Better rinse it! Dust could cause problems.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #9 
Alexanderismylife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklidae View Post
Here is the 2.5 gal I got for free.

It's kinda dusty.
Looks like a pretty good tank :] Just a lil dusty!! lol! Pretty nice tank for free!!
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #10 
Adastra

Pet store employees. Zzz. Where do they find these people?

The 2.5 should do as long as you do water changes as OldFishLady described. It would be easier if you did a fishless cycle on the tank before you get your betta--I'm sure you know all about that anyway. :)

You still may want to consider upgrading later--the shape of that tank doesn't really give your betta much in the way of swimming space, and the undergravel filter will probably get annoying fast. No idea what kind of light that thing has, but if it is incandescent you should change it to fluorescent and definitely get a heater with an adjustable thermostat, such as the 25watt hydor theo.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote