Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #1 
Hermitpaws

Exclamation Could this be the problem with lona?

ok was was just messing around looking at all the stuff that had previously been in lonas tank, since i got her new stuff (filter/Hideout)
and i was reading the label on Tap Water Condioner, and i think i may have miss read it. it say's "5ml(Approx. 1 capfull)treats 2L (0.5 gal...."

i have 2 gallon tanks for BOTH koi and lona, does this mean i need to put 4 caps of the stuff in each tank?!!

Cuz the guy at petco said one capful would do it for a 2 gal....

Is this right???4 Caps?

Sorry forgot the problem was shes "glass surfing"

Last edited by Hermitpaws; 06-22-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Hermitpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #2 
Adastra

Wow that's a really pathetic watered down water conditioner if it takes FOUR capfuls to clear the chlorine and chloramine. And yes, you would need four. 4 x 0.5 = 2

I suggest getting a different water conditioner altogether--what you have sounds like junk. I suggest getting Amquel+ or Prime water conditioner. Both remove chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals and they detoxify ammonia. Prime is the best deal for your money since it is super concentrated--only one DROP per gallon instead of a whole capful.

In this hobby you find out very quickly that pet store employees are trained to get you to buy things, often really really stupid things, they are not trained to tell you how to care for your fish. The store does not care if your fish live or die--in fact, if your fish die and if you are tricked into buying inadequate products they make more money, because you come back and buy more fish and more stuff once you realize what you have bought is totally inadequate.

One more thing. Stay AWAY from anything with a big picture of a betta on it--companies who market their products this way sell items that are typically poor quality, watered down, shoddily made, or inappropriate for bettas. And the real kicker is that they are almost always MORE expensive!

Last edited by Adastra; 06-22-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

WOW - ONE drop per gallon of Prime??? All this time I have been using 10 drops per gallon!!!! And no problems with any of my fish - bettas or cichlids or live bearers.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #4 
Tomsk

It will be ok to use for any fish.I use Nutrafin aquaplus for a water conditioner for my community and Betta tanks (5ml treats 10 u.s. gallons).

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #5 
Adastra

It's possible they make different concentrations of Prime for different uses, but even if you have been overdosing it shouldn't cause any problems unless it was a massive overdose.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #6 
Hermitpaws

ok thanks. she seems to be calming down a bit since i put it in.
Hermitpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #7 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
It's possible they make different concentrations of Prime for different uses, but even if you have been overdosing it shouldn't cause any problems unless it was a massive overdose.
Actually, I think they do. One for ponds that is more concentrated & the one for regular aquariums.

Actually, for the past six months I have been using Tropical Science Labs Complete Care & am happy with it so will probably continue to use that. When I called their number, they told me 8 drops per gallon & so far that has worked out great!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote