Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #11 
mjbn

Okay Adastra, i'll order from that site you showed me. It IS pretty cheap. haha is this a good filter do you think? http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=9821 if not what one would you recommend?
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #12 
Adastra

Well, I don't have experience with filter brands other than marineland and aquaclear, unfortunately, so I can't really tell one way or the other if that is a good product. I suggest searching around on google for product reviews, if you see people have similar consistent problems, I would assume that there is a flaw in the design--if the majority of people like the product and there's no consistency in the problems people report, I'd say go for it.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #13 
mjbn

okay, will do

Last edited by mjbn; 06-22-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #14 
mjbn

Well i did research and saw that the filter media wasn't so good.? but i found a post where the guy took the filter and made thin layers of it and put carbon inside of 2 slices of it and sowed the pieces back together and it made the filter work great so should i do that? sounds like a good plan so save money.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #15 
Adastra

Yeah, I usually don't use exactly what the filter comes with. It's definitely a good idea to put your own spin on it--most filters come with media that isn't very ideal.

A lot of the time I'll replace the ceramic rings my other filters come with with aquaclear biomax (http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...30&pcatid=3630), and I always replace the carbon with matrix carbon (http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...97&pcatid=4197). You could use different sponge materials too if you don't like what it comes with. Some people use polyfill fiber from the craft store, I like the 50 micron filter floss (http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...53&pcatid=4353)--the scrap pieces are actually very good algae scrubbers. :)

I'm not sure what all you'd have space for in that little Azoo, but you might want to get some of that carbon at least. :)
Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #16 
mjbn

Yeah, haha the carbon forsureim gonna do. If i get real plants, what kind should i get and would i need anything else?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #17 
Adastra

It depends on the plants and the lighting in the tank.

Generally though, very easy low light plants include java moss, java fern, anubias nana, anubias frezeri, and hornwort. All of these plants take their nutrients from the water column and do not need to be planted in the substrate--in fact if you bury the rhizome of the anubias and the java ferns, they don't do well at all. You can tie them to rocks, driftwood, or decor, and they will begin to attach to them with time. Java moss will as well. If you don't want to attach it to anything, simply put a plant anchor on the rhizome and let it sit on top of the substrate.

Hornwort is a nice bushy plant, very common, easy to find, and soaks up fish waste very well. You will have problems with this plant shedding its fronds if there isn't enough nutrients--but otherwise I like it a lot. You can allow it to float, or you can put a plant weight on it and let it sit on the substrate.

Since all you have in your tank is a single betta, there often isn't enough nutrients to make your plants really look nice and grow well. A good simple supplement to use if you just have a few non-rooting low light plants is Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive ( http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...52&pcatid=4652). You simply add a small amount with every water change to feed the plants.

You should know if you go to a pet store to look for plants that they often sell non-aquatic plants as if they were aquatic--if you decide to get adventurous at the store and experiment with other plants, stay away from bamboo, ribbon plant (lucky bamboo), brazilian sword (peace lily), mondo grass, purple waffle--and really anything that looks excessively colorful.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #18 
mjbn

Okay, because i'm kinda worried about the plastic fake plants because i don't want it to cut up my betta's fins.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #19 
Adastra

You could always get silk plants and file down and rough parts of the plastic stems--but live are always better. They promote good water quality and they're very fun to grow.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #20 
Sarada

Someone asked me about my filter and I don't remember where that post is so I'm posting info here.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts....ngeFilter.html
I had to purchase an air pump, tubing and some other 50c thingy that goes inside the sponge and attaches to the hose.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote