Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 AM   #1 
LMac54

Exclamation DIY plastic mesh dividers help!!

So I went to the crafts store today and bought some plastic mesh. Problem was that there were two types of mesh 7 count and 14 count. I wasn't quite sure which one to get and the 14 count was wrapped in plastic with cardboard, so I bought one of both.

I know a lot of the DIYs call for the 7 count mesh, but I was hoping if anyone had any experience with the 14 count one. The 14 count mesh seems a little less see-through... which is ideal. Apparently the number is the number of holes per inch... so the 14 count one has way more holes, but they're really tiny. I'm a little worried that water will have a hard time circulating through it.

Here's what the 14 count "perforated plastic" looks like.

And here's the regular old type 7

The 14 count mesh seems a little less see-through... which is ideal.
LMac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #2 
bearwithfish

either would work .. you just need to decide what you want to accomplish.. the 14 count is less see through and wonderful with some flow.. however the 7 count will permit more sight (not always a bad thing as flaring is great exercise) and permits more flow.....
bearwithfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #3 
Adastra

You could always cut both to size and try both since the actual mesh part of the divider is easily removable. If you like one more than the other, slide out the one you dislike and replace it with the one that works better. My only concern would be that it would be harder for water to circulate through the smaller holes, but you could put an airstone on the sides without the filter to help keep the water moving--but you would either need to crimp the airline tubing with binder clips or add a gang valve so that you could control the airflow since bettas don't seem to enjoy having the air pump on full blast.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #4 
carolyn

This should help you: the count indicates the number of holes per inch. So a 7 count fabric or mesh will have 7 openings in an inch. A 14 count will have 14 openings per inch. The 7 count mesh has a bigger opening than the 14.
carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:20 AM   #5 
LMac54

Yes, I did mention that the holes are smaller in the 14type in the original post.

I ended up using the 14count mesh, but it wasn't wide enough, so I sewed on about 2inches of the 7count mesh. I put the 7count ends of the finished dividers closest to the filter... to ensure water circulation in my 10gallon.
LMac54 is offline   Reply With Quote