Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #11 
secuono

Dirty, old water has nothing to do with cycling a tank. It's the colonie of bacteria in the substrate & filter. You can take a chunk of filter media or a cup per 10gal to seed your new tank.

If you do cycling with fish, you may end up falling for that fish. I used Goldfish the first time and ended up keeping them for months. Eventually I re-homed them when they became far too big for a tank.

Without fish is very easy as well as the fact that even if your tank is cycled(fish or no fish), many things can go wrong very fast.
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #12 
Mizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccBecc View Post
I'm just wondering how many people do fishless cycling vs using actual fish. I know the one if more humane (fishless) but I've heard the using fish is quicker and there are some fish that are able to withstand the "process". My sister has got a established tank so I'm planning on taking some water from there to help it along. So which do you prefer: Fishless or Fish?
Fish in cycling is really easy with bettas. If you do it properly you won't cause them any harm. *** taking water from your sisters aquarium won't assist you with anything. the bacteria in her tank does not live in the water, it attaches itself to solids such as filter media, substrate, plants, and decor. edit: I would just do the fish in cycle with your betta. They are such a hardy fish and as I said before if you do it properly you won't cause them any harm.
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote