Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #11 
RobinK

My daughter's fish looks just like your VT! Her fish tears but heals quickly too - mostly without medicine too.
RobinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #12 
Adastra

There has been research to suggest that the ingredient melaleuca in melafix and bettafix (they are both the same thing--bettafix is simply watered down) should not be used in treating anabantoids like bettas because it does harm to the labyrinth organ. Melafix is a healing agent that works as a mild irritant--this irritation increases bloodflow to the injury and in this way, it expedites the healing process. It's a good product for goldfish, but not for bettas.

Aquarium salt and clean water would probably be much better for your fish. If you suspect anything major is going on that might compromise the health of your fish, I would use methylene blue instead of melafix.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #13 
RobinK

Told ya, controversy! Google!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #14 
wallywestisthebest333

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
There has been research to suggest that the ingredient melaleuca in melafix and bettafix (they are both the same thing--bettafix is simply watered down) should not be used in treating anabantoids like bettas because it does harm to the labyrinth organ. Melafix is a healing agent that works as a mild irritant--this irritation increases bloodflow to the injury and in this way, it expedites the healing process. It's a good product for goldfish, but not for bettas.

Aquarium salt and clean water would probably be much better for your fish. If you suspect anything major is going on that might compromise the health of your fish, I would use methylene blue instead of melafix.
I'm glad I saw this! Definitely won's use the stuff I have now. =/
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #15 
vilmarisv

Good thing I had to watch my nieces before coming home... otherwise I would've gone straight to the tank and added the Melafix!!
I'll just treat him with salt for now.
Thank you so much!!!!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #16 
RobinK

Look Vil - everyone has an opinion. You can decide for yourself. This I got off of Smith and Foster's website.
It contradicts the other that was offered.

Quote:
Introduction:
Maintaining fish health is a vital concern to aquarists and pond enthusiasts. Bacterial and fungal infections in particular have challenged fish health professionals and hobbyists alike. Many of today's current medications have become less effective due to resistant strains of infecting bacteria. In response to this growing problem, Aquarium Pharmaceuticals investigated hundreds of botanical extracts for use against fish diseases. Over six years of research and development resulted in the formulation of MelaFix. MelaFix is an all-natural medication derived from the leaves of Melaleuca, the scientific name for the Tea Tree. The healing properties of Tea Tree extract have been known for centuries. University studies and extensive laboratory tests showed that MelaFix is an effective anti-bacterial remedy for freshwater and marine fish. MelaFix also produced rapid repair of damaged fish tissue and fins. New growth was seen in as little as four days of treatment. This evidence led to the granting of a United States patent. International patents are pending.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #17 
1fish2fish

No one is saying melafix is bad.. but it IS bad for bettas and other labyrinth fish. It's widely accepted among betta hobbyists that Melaleuca is not good for bettas because it can damage the labyrinth organ.

Furthermore, Melafix is way too potent for bettas even if it was good to use. It would need to be watered down a lot.

The best course of treatment is clean water and a little aquarium salt. IMO good food will also help.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've never had any problem with Bettafix but I have had problems with Melafix.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 AM   #19 
RobinK

You know something? No matter what helpful advice I try to offer someone it seems like there are 3 other people, who hadn't answered the person's question at all, who jump in to not only say it's bad advice but horrible advice. Like we are all experts. I just say "this is my experience...Google other sights" but twice now today I've had people completely contradict me. The other was on Hydor heaters. I thought for the money they were pefect for me in my situation - some guy gets on and says, basically, "they suck, don't waste your money." Maybe the bettas aren't the only "fighting fish", huh? Respect others opinions and realize you might not have all the answers or that there is room for a difference of opinions. Later Moderator.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else. You have to take everyone's advice or opinions with a grain of salt.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote