Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Need filter opinions.

I'm trying to decide what filter to get for Ember's tank. Its approx. 4 gallons.

These are the two I'm looking at so far:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...5&ab=fish_fc2b

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...21&pcatid=9821

The top fin one has VERY mixed reviews. Some say it works well and others say it's very loud. I really need a quiet filter. This is for "up to 10 gallon" tanks but it's adjustable. Its also cheaper and I can go right down the road to petsmart and pick it up today.

The Azoo Palm gets great reviews but its only available online which means I'd have to wait for it to be shipped. Its for tanks up to 5 gallons.

So what do you guys think? I want to go with this design because I can get the Fluval Edge sponge to go over the intake since Ember already has damaged fins I want to offer the most protection possible.

Do you have any other filter suggestions that could work? My budget is $25 or less including tax and shipping (if applicable).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Here's another.. mixed reviews but local.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regent-For...-1-ct/10313136
Old 02-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #3 
vaygirl

I'd go with the Azoo. I was never a fan of those filters cartridges because you remove a lot of your bacteria when you remove the whole cartridge. I saw one of the reviews said they added ceramic rings for bacteria to grow on and I think that's a great idea. If you got the azoo you could add rings and then change one and then the other alternately to maintain as much of your colony as you can. I have an Aquaclear that has a sponge, a carbon bag and ceramic rings all seperate and I love that. It's more of a DIY kinda thing.

Plus, it's adjustable, which is such a nice thing.

Last edited by vaygirl; 02-13-2010 at 07:13 PM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #4 
kuklachica

What about the red sea nano? it seems that many people have recommended that one on here. I haven't used it, but it seems great.

I have used this one: https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/pro...97/product.web

And it is great because there is no intake to worry about, and it also provides bubbles for them to play with. Not very much current and can be modified with a valve on the air pump.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

The Red Sea is for tanks less than 3 gallons and since I plan to put live plants in there I want more filtration.

I don't mind the cartridge ones because its so long for them to need replacing and they are cloned easy enough thats not a problem for me.

Right now I think the plan is to go for the third one because its the cheapest and I really need to save money now.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #6 
doggyhog

Third one!!!!! Yes yes!! I have it and I love it. You just need a baffle on it 'cause it's pretty powerful, but not powerful enough to suck the poor fishy up in the intake tube.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Yeah I think I'm going to fit a sponge to it to buffer the flow and I will be buying another fluval edge sponge to fit over the intake just in case. I'm going to wait until next weekend to get it (hoping to convince my mom to pay for it ;) )
Old 06-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #8 
mjbn

curious, which one did you end up buying? and is it a good filter?
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #9 
nono

id go with the one from walmart
nono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

I ended up getting the one from petsmart. Its a great little filter although I had to buffer the flow a lot.