Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #1 
PacoFish

Smile New betta, new owner. Meet Paco :)

Hey all! I've been roaming around the forum for a couple of days, and I just got my first male VT. His name is Paco, and he's quite the character. He was trying to attack every other fish in the area, through his depressingly tiny little cup, so I had to have him (seeing as I'm a feisty Irish person myself ;) ) He's currently in a 2.5gal and seems to be enjoying himself thoroughly. Anyway, here are some pictures of him; wondering if anyone can identify his colour, and verify that he is indeed a VT? I got him from a local pet shop who knows nothing about bettas. (sigh)

http://i45.tinypic.com/a1qzop.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/x54a2p.jpg

His body colour appears a little more black than the picture shows, rather than brown, but the blue is right.

:) Anyway, hello all!
PacoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

Welcome to the forum!
Paco is gorgeous! I love the green on him. He is very unique. Yep, he's a VT. I'd say multicolor (though I'm not exactly what you'd call good with colors). I don't think he'd be a "gas" coloration of some sort, though someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit- If he is a gas, I'd say he's a yellow (Er.... brown??) mustard gas w/ some blue. But I don't think he is.
Heh, I'm not the person for colors. XD

Last edited by Betta Slave; 06-22-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #3 
PacoFish

Thanks :) Like I said, he's quite the character! I have looked at about 250 different bettas just in the past few days and I haven't seen any others with his colouring. I'm hoping to get another male soon, or maybe start up a sorority tank, but I think Paco will always be the most unique li'l bugger.
I do have a question though, seeing as I'm new to bettas; I believe the inside of his tank is rather reflective (though I can't tell, as I'm on the outside...), and he seems to be trying to attack the "other fish" quite often.. as in, all day long. He's constantly swimming about/flaring and trying to attack his reflection. Is this normal, or should I be worried? He's in a critter keeper so the tank is plastic, not glass. Suggestions?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

If you want, you can tape a piece of paper to the places he's attacking. But it's not really a concern- my bettas do that all the time.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #5 
PacoFish

Good to know. It seems to keep him entertained and happy, so I figure he should be alright so long as he doesn't hit the wall and hurt himself, or something of the sort. I've recently put a Terra-Cotta pot on its side as well as some tank pebbles, and he seems to be having a grand time. I suppose any tank would be satisfactory compared to the tiny cup he didn't even fit in. :( He is a pretty big boy though, compared to the other bettas who had quite a bit of wiggle room in their cups.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #6 
mysquishy

He is awesome! I love his color.

I live in Oregon too. :)
mysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #7 
Alexanderismylife

Welcome to the forum :] I love your bettas colors!!!! He's beautiful!!! :] Don't worry too much about the flareing unless he does it for more than 10 mins at a time....my betta fish Alex flares all the time so I wouldn't worry about it!
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #8 
vaygirl

He's beautiful. Love his coloring!

Edit: Make sure you cover the hole in the terracotta pot bottom if it has one. A lot of bettas here have gotten stuck in those holes.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #9 
PacoFish

Thanks all :) Paco seems to have calmed down for the time being. He only flares for a few minutes at a time, maybe 5 max, and then wanders around or stops swimming for a while. Mysquishy; :) Hello from Oregon City, haha.
As for the pot, I have the back of it up against his tank wall and it's kind of rooted in the pebbles so it wont roll away, so there's no room for him to get stuck. But for safety reasons, what would you suggest covering it with?
Also, until I can afford an in-tank heater, and considering I like to keep my room pretty cold all day and night, what would you suggest using to keep his water at a nice cozy temp? I had put a pretty warm desk lamp on it and that seemed to keep it pretty warm, but I don't want to set the house on fire... :\ haha. Suggestions? :)
Old 06-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #10 
dipsydoodlenoodle

My betta flares at his reflection too; he'll see me then come and see me and when I leave I see him going back to flare occasionally. He's not doing it all the time and it obviously doesn't bother him otherwise he'd be flaring instead of saying hello.
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote