Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #1 
Jakr959

Question Breeding question?

Ok so I was wondering how many jars I should have to put the young adult bettas in, I hear that a female can lay 5 million eggs but only 1 out of 500 will survive into adulthood. and if you do the math, it will come out to 1000 bettas wil survive giving you are very very very lucky that all the eggs survive.
Jakr959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Thats a first for me...never heard or had a female drop 5 million eggs in their life of spawning let alone in one spawning. The most I have had is around 200 or so and 130 or so survive to sub-adult and average 100, but most after culling is around 50-100 IME and that is about all I want to deal with and of that half+ being males that need separated.
The most males I had to cup is 82 and that is a big job making daily water changes on that many...... at least for me...

First time spawn, I would have at least 25 cups/jars on hand with a plan to get more if needed and a couple of 20g tanks for the females
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #3 
Jakr959

Oh, well I guess chacha isn't that reliable and does it have to be a 20 gallon cant it be there hatching tank? Also, do you need a busniss license to sell them on aquabid
Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #4 
beta novice

you dont need a license to sell them on aquabid just like you dont need a licenese to sell stuff on ebay
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Your going to need a bigger tank that the hatching tank (which I'm assuming is a 10 gallon). You could try several ten gallons but it would take up more space than a 20+ gallon tank.

The reason you need a bigger tank is because most breeders keep all the females together in a sorority until they are sold. Its impossible to keep 30+/- females in a 10 gallon tank. Also when you have your fry in grow out, a bigger tank is desired to lower the frequencies of water changes.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #6 
Jakr959

Ok today my brothers last fish died and I can have his 20 gallon and I also have a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon, I think that would be enough to breed bettas and I am setting up an aqubid account. Yeah I know breeding takes along time but Im off school cuz its summer so i have 3 mouths to breed at least one batch of fry, also I do have a 1 gallon for my male, he loves it
Old 06-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #7 
Jakr959

Ok last Q, How will I ship the bettas that were bought on Aquabid? I have been searching the inernet but coulden't find an answer
Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I wrote a thread about shipping bettas. Its located in the Betta Chat section. I think the title is something like "By popular demand: Shipping Bettas"

Since your in the US you'll only be shipping in the US. I would go to walmart and find a box big enough to ship at least 4 fish in and use that as your primary box when quoting prices for Express shipping.

Express Shipping usually costs $35 and Priority $15. You may also want to figure out what your DOA policy will be. Personally my DOA policy is a refund of the cost of the fish but not replacing it since I'm not going to have very many fish at one time.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #9 
Jakr959

So to pay for the shipping, I will need to take the price of the fish and then add shipping and handling to help pay for shipping it. . . that sounds like I would be losing money let alone earning it
Old 06-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

You'll find that most breeders barely make even, much less earn. Especially on their first spawns. After a while once you already have the set up and cultures, etc. You may make a little money but most of it goes back into breeding and is not "taken home" so to speak.

That being said. The price of shipping is completely separate from the cost of the fish. Lets say you charge $20 for the fish. The person who buys the fish will send you $20 + the cost of shipping (usually $15-$35).

If this is your first spawn I would not charge $20 for a fish though. The most I will charge for my fry is probably $15 for the really good ones.