Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2010, 12:57 AM   #1 
reptileboy

Exclamation first time owner

ok...so i want a betta. duh....lol anyway, i have a 10 gallon with a screen lid. i figured i will use river gravel from the pet store, maybe a few plants, about 2 hides, and a few rocks and stuff like that. sound ok???
reptileboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:03 AM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

Yes, that sounds good except you need a heater as well. I'd also look into getting a filter for a 10 gallon. You could cycle the tank and then you wouldn't have to clean the tank as often.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #3 
beta novice

umm wash the gravel the plants the rocks and the hiding places very well
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #4 
Adastra

Research the nitrogen cycle and how to complete a fishless cycle before you get your fish. Without cycling the tank, you will have to do 100% water changes on the 10 gallon--which is a lot of work! Please cycle the tank before you get your fish.

You will need to get a 50watt adjustable heater a filter and a high quality pellet food for your betta. I use OmegaOne betta buffet pellets, but Atison's betta pellets, New Life Spectrum, and Ken's Betta crumbles are also good brands. You will need to get a good liquid test kit such as the API Master Kit to help monitor your tank parameters. You must have one to monitor the progress on your tank cycle.

Major props to you for doing research before getting your betta--good luck!
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote