Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #11 
Felessan

it depends on the product the flakes i buy say as much as they can eat in 3 min but the freeze dryed blood worms say 2-3 worms twice a day and the pellets say 3-4 pellets a day...i feed my betta a little of every thing.
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #12 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I don't know if I can feed them so little...... they would starve!? I think I'll just reduce bloodworms by half or about 20 live mosquito larva twice a day. They will be scrawny like those in the LFS but I know they will survive.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #13 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
This is what I DONT understand...
I hear that frozen foods are so much better than freeze dried but I was looking for "high protein" to feed my fish and went straight to the frozen food section (of the pet store LOL) and read the label (I'm a label reader) and the protein content in the frozen bloodworms was min 30% whereas the freeze dried blood worms was min 50%.
Sooooo... should I disregard the labels and feed frozen bloodworms? Or stick with the freeze dried?
My LPS has NO female guppies for me to breed and feed the fry to my bettas. Ugh!

It is SO friggin' confusing with all the conflicting advice!!! For example, over at BettySplendens, she says:

"Adult bettas kept as pets can be kept quite well on freeze-dried foods such as bloodworms (larvae of the mosquito-like insect Chironomidae), brine shrimp, and betta pellets."

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=718

Which is why I purchased the freeze-dried blood worms in the first place!!! Yet, on this site there are those that say the freeze-dried foods (blood worms included) are no good and will cause constipation & bloat!

How is a person to know what is the best way to go???? Grrrrr............
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #14 
beta novice

go with the way that they will cause constipation and bloat if you feed them too much and soak them before feeding them but there used as treats not everyday food
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #15 
Lion Mom

I was only feeding them the freeze-dried blood worms on Saturday & fasting them on Sunday. No problems yet, but........ I have decided to not feed the blood worms to my bettas anymore just in case.

I am going to soak them in tank water, however, & feed them as a treat to my other fish.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Freeze dried foods are fine as long as they are rehydrated before feeding. Feeding bloodworms as a once or twice a week treat is fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #17 
NIB BETTA

I alternate between frozen bloodworm's and shrimp. One week worms, the other shrimp with one day of fasting. I have tried pellets, flakes and freeze dried worms, but none of my fish will touch flakes or pellets. Only a few will eat the freeze dried. For me, it is convenient to keep all my fish on the same diet and since they all love the worms and shrimp, that is what I use.
NIB BETTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #18 
Rain Drop

I fast my fish once a week so that they can cleanse their system out better. It's their pooping day ;o

Personally, I don't feed my fish as much as they can eat because they do get bloated and then they float to the top of the tank. It SHOULDN'T look like they've swallowed a ball.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:19 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

I fast mine once a week, also.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote