Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #1 
Betta Newbie

New to Bettas, Couple ?'s

Only thing I know about the Betta I bought yesterday is that he's male and looks awesome. One of my questions is if anyone could possibly tell me what kind of Betta he is?

My second question is about feeding. Right now I have a bottle of Aqueon Betta Food Pellets and a bottle of Tetra Freeze Dried Bloodworms. I gonna be giving him 3-4 pellets of the betta food 2-3 times a day, with a pinch of the blood worms every other day or so. Just wondering if that's good, or if you could recommend something else. And I already knot to change about half of his water atleast once a week, more if itlooks dirty or cloudy. And help is appreciated, thanks!
Attached Images

Betta Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #2 
tumtum

Hey and welcome to the forum! Your betta is a crowntail. For feeding I would recomend 2 pellets or 2 bloodworms twice a day. Also how big is the bowl?
tumtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #3 
Alexanderismylife

Your betta is a crowntail :] Congrats on your new betta! But....I do not see a heater in your bettas bowl..Also the bowl looks a little small! Maybe try upgrading him to a 2.5 gal tank with heater? He would be much happier!
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:33 AM   #4 
Betta Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum View Post
Hey and welcome to the forum! Your betta is a crowntail. For feeding I would recomend 2 pellets or 2 bloodworms twice a day. Also how big is the bowl?
Thanks, will do. And the bowl is pretty small. I got it because it said it was made for a Betta fish. After reading some stuff on here I'm already looking into getting a bigger one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexanderismylife View Post
Your betta is a crowntail :] Congrats on your new betta! But....I do not see a heater in your bettas bowl..Also the bowl looks a little small! Maybe try upgrading him to a 2.5 gal tank with heater? He would be much happier!
Could you recommend a decent tank, heater, filter set up that possibly doesn't cost too much?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #5 
tumtum

Sounds like your really looking out for your betta's best interest!
A filter is actually not a necesity, but it will help with the amount of waterchanges you will have to do. I think anything 1 gallon or above would be fine for your tank/bowl
tumtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:12 AM   #6 
Betta Newbie

We got it for our daughter, but once we got it home I thought it was pretty cool too. And the betta seems to be pretty active so far in the current tank, but who wouldn't want a little more room and plants and stuff. I read they like a place to hide once in a while too, so maybe a cool little rock with a cave or something.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:06 AM   #7 
mjbn

Tanks: 5.5 Gallon at petco for $15
10G at petco also $15
10G at walmart $13

Heater: 2-15 G heater at walmart $15

Filter: Tetra Whisper PF10 at petco for $15

I got the 5.5 G, heater, &filter. works great. learn how to baffle the filter tho, the current is pretty strong. Let me know if u have Q's.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:13 AM   #8 
mjbn

Tanks: 5.5 Gallon at petco also $15
10G at petco also $15
10G at walmart $15
2.5 G at petco for $13

Heater: 2-15 G heater at walmart $15

Filter: Tetra Whisper PF10 5-10G at petco $15

if u get the 2.5G you'd need a smaller filter. learn how to baffle the current on the filter cuz the currnts pretty strong. Let me know if u have Q's about these. dnt forget gravel, water conditioner, thermostat&yes alot of SILK plants. plastic rips fins.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #9 
Phether

You should feed him once in the morning/afternoon and once at night. 3-4 pellets and about 3 bloodworms. feed pellets mon/tues and bloodworms on weds, pellets again on thurs/fri and bloodworms again on sat. on sunday you should fast him (dont feed him to aid in his digestion) and since your bowl is very small and has no filter you should take out all the food he doesnt eat. that can make the water cloudly/dirty

one more thing, I noticed that you had the flash on in your camera when you took the picture. next time you take pictures, turn the flash off. put a light in the background to help with the lighting, but please do it a favor and dont flash it. just think about how you would feel of someone kept randomly flashing your eyes with a light.. cant be good x]

good luck! :]

Last edited by Phether; 06-24-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Phether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #10 
Betta Newbie

alright thank you everyone for the advice. I'll look into everything that was suggested. :)