Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #1 
Felessan

Exclamation New betta need help

Hi fellow betta lovers,
a few days ago i got a new veilfin red male named F'lessan!!!!!!!!
but he might have fin rot it seems to be geting better i am changing half of his water every day and tomorow i will fully clean every thing...is that the right thing to do?

i am feeding him betta fish color enhancing flakes and freeze dried bloodworms (yuk!) he gobbles it up like a little pig!(they might not have been feeding him enoghf at petco )

he is in a little bowl but from what i have read here i should upgrade his bowl soon!

P.S. I will post pics soon!
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #2 
Felessan

he is my avater (do you like his plant?)

Last edited by Felessan; 06-24-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: make it more clear
Old 06-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #3 
Jakr959

um, Im not sure what your asking help for. oh and yes I like his plant
Jakr959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #4 
beta novice

get him a heater bigger tank filter hiding places umm i guess nice plant
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #5 
mjbn

I think you should do 100% water changes every other day, and are you using a water conditioner before putting him in? for fin rot get aquarium salt also, it'll help. also heard that garlic juice helps alot and feed him a high protein diet. and before you feed him the freeze-dried worms, re-hydrate them because they will cause constipatiionionoin and no one wants that huh? haha but yeah get a bigger tank. if you're okay with spending about $50-60 on a new tank, filter, gravel, SILK plants and heater(basically the only things you need in a betta tank besides the testing kit) go to petco and walmart.. they're having a sale on some tanks there. They have 2.5($13.99), 5.5(14.99), and 10 Gallon(14.99) tanks at petco. Really cheap. they also have a $16 filter. Tetra Whisper PF10 5-10 G filter. Currents a little strong, just baffle it. For the heater, go to walmart. its a 2-15G heater(says on the box). ALSO if you go to walmart, they have a 5G tank with a filter for $30(didin't have it at my walmart so i got the petco tank&filter) so id suggest going to walmart before petco. get a fine gravel anywhere and silk plants anywhere. If you can though, get a filter with flow control. And the plant, if it's plastic i think you should take it out until you get silk plants. Plastic WILL cut/rip your betta's fins.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #6 
Felessan

ok thanks!
Old 06-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #7 
Felessan

I am using destilled water. ok i will get silk plants but untill then i will take the plant out. garlic juice? I have not heard that befor?!?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #8 
mjbn

basically puree garlic and run it through a strainer with a spatula(you'll need a lot of garlic...)
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #9 
Felessan

ok
Old 06-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #10 
Adastra

Distilled water can lack essential minerals that bettas need, I urge you to use tap water along with dechlorinator. A good dechlorinating product is Prime, it is highly concentrated, so you will get the most product for your money.

Are the edges of the fin black or gray, crusty and fuzzy? If there is no change in color or texture, his fins are probably fine. Many bettas bite their fins due to the stress of being shipped and relocated into new tanks.

People say that garlic has a mild antiparasitic effect, but I wouldn't say that it is totally necessary for treating wounds or bacterial problems. Clean water should be enough, a bit of kosher salt or aquarium salt may help speed things up. In a one gallon bowl, you will need to do 100% water changes every three days to remove all of the harmful ammonia.

I highly suggest gettting a new tank, or at least getting a 2-4 gallon rubbermaid/sterilite bin from walmart or target. These bins are safe to use with heaters and are only $2-$4 each. Bettas need heaters, and many heaters are not made for tanks smaller than 2.5 gallons. You can keep him in a bin with an adjustable heater until you save enough money for a real tank.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote