Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #1 
sjones

Is this tail biting or a fin problem?

Last week Clampy started getting holes in his fins (round holes in near the base of the fins) he had three, then today I looked and noticed his tail is shredded! Arg!
He is in a 3 gallon critter keeper, no filter and I change the water 100% every three days, water is conditioned tap water, no filter.
I added aquarium salt to his last tank change (3 days ago)
Here is before and 2 after pictures
Is this tail biting? I notice it is only affecting his tail, not his other fins
The only thing I did different is take the gravel out of his tank three days ago because a bare bottom tank is easier to change. Is this stressing him out?
Also, I did fast him for the day for the first time yesterday, maybe this contributed to the behavior?
What can I do?
Attached Images

sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #2 
Adastra

Looks like tail-biting to me, but biting wounds can easily become infected. Keep the water pristinely clean and try to remove what may be stressing him out and causing him to bite. If the wounded area starts looking black and gray and develops a fuzzy or crusty texture, that means the area is infected. You should step up your water changes and add some aquarium salt to help expedite healing.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #3 
doggyhog

Oh boy... you've got a biter!!!!!

I'd suggest doing daily 50% water changes and adding 1/2-1 t spoon of salt per gallon of your tank. Do this for 10 days.

Also, you should probably soak his food in garlic juice for a few days as biting can be caused by parasites. Garlic is anti parasitical.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #4 
sjones

arg.
Well, Mr. Clampy has now been upgraded to a 5 gallon critter keeper with new plants and substrate-I guess we're not "fasting" for a day anymore either, as he tends to eat himself.
Today he ate his tail and the "jaws" fin (the one on top) He looks horrible.
How often would I normally have to do water changes on the five gallon(when he is not in crises)? I don't use a filter-it is not a cycled tank.
And I am still using the aq salt.
What a brat :)!
Thanks for the input.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #5 
sjones

HOW COULD HE??? His fins were so beautiful! sob!
Thanks for the input doggyhound, I am actually using 1 tsp per gallon, is that okay too?
Could you run the garlic juice script by me, how do you make it?
Old 06-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #6 
Adastra

In a 5 gallon I would change 100% of the water once a week normally. You might want to do another partial water change during the week due to his biting. Some bettas bite when they're stressed, some bite when they're bored, some bite when they're hungry, and some just do it for reasons we don't understand. Hopefully he does not become a chronic biter.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #7 
JKfish

Puffy is doing the same thing. Be careful, Clampy might seem to stop for a while, then suddenly, as it looks like his fins are well on the road to recovery and growing nicely and looking healed, he'll bite a huge chunk out of them. :P
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #8 
sjones

Should I change his name to Fang? Bitey? Edward? wow, I hope he stops, he looks worse after today, what if he doesn't stop? He seems to like his new tank though..that he got from guilting his fish mom!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #9 
sjones

Hannibal?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #10 
sjones

Seriously, does he look like he's mocking me here?
Attached Images