Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #1 
Adastra

Stickied Care Topics

I don't know about you guys, but I am getting REALLY tired of sounding like a broken record all the time. People come to this forum wanting to know the same general information, and the knowledgeable people here end up repeating themselves to the umpteenth time when these solutions could easily be presented in the form of a simple pinned topic.

The betta care sticky is a good start, but it is very incomplete. It is very vague about aquarium maintenance (and incorrect in my opinion), does not mention the nitrogen cycle, does not have a comprehensive and well-organized list of betta-compatible tank mates, and only briefly discusses betta diet. It is disorganized and has unnecessary information about wild-types that cannot be applied to domesticated betta splendens. The breeding section seems unnecessary to me--it should have its own very detailed topic in the breeding section of the forum. It also has some wording issues and is not exactly correct in all ways.

I suggest the stickied topics be edited and consolidated--each separate forum should have a stickied thread on the topic they address to answer the basic questions people ask over and over. I'm really tired of re-stating the same basic care information. I am willing to help with this process if the moderators agree that this should be done.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #2 
sarbear

I find stickies very helpful much of the time...however...There is a lot of conflicting information out there about many aspects of betta care. It isn't just people coming on here and asking questions that have been answered many times because they haven't done any research to find the answer. There are also people, like me, who are new to betta fish, and fish in general, that have done lots of reading and research before buying a fish. The information can be confusing at times and reading one more sticky may not be helpful.

The whole idea of a forum is having people to talk to directly and ask questions to maybe clarify why the sticky here says to do it one way but another fish website says to do it another way. It's sometimes nice to be able to talk to people about their experience and opinions on betta fish care and decide which way works best for you.

I think the stickies are a good idea, I'm not saying they shouldn't be updated and expanded. I'm just saying, I don't think that'll solve the issue you have. People will still ask questions, multiple times. That always happens on a forum, that's what they're for. You could always refer them to the specific sticky and let them know that if they have any specific questions after reading it to ask away. You could even copy your broken record replies someplace on your computer and then paste the answer into the thread if you don't like to type so much. Or you could just let other people answer the questions that are inevitably going to be asked numerous times. :)
sarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #3 
Adastra

I agree that it's important to ask questions. However, if the sticky was more clear, better organized, and presented sound reasons behind its ideology, then that would be better for people who might be too shy to ask a question, and well--we wouldn't have to waste our time with very simple questions like "How often should I change the water in my tank?" "Why is my bowl too small?" "What and how often should I feed my betta?" "Can I keep a male and a female betta together all the time?"
Old 06-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #4 
sarbear

My point is that there are differing opinions on "how often should I change the water in my tank" "why is my bowl too small" and "what and how often should I feed my betta". So people will ask anyway. You don't have to waste your time answering those questions, unless this is your job? Honestly I'd rather hear an answer from someone who is willing anyway.
sarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #5 
Ashcan Bill

While I agree it sometimes gets frustrating that people don't always read the stickies or use the search function, by the same token it's a forum and that's what forums are all about. It's sort of a cross between posted information and human interaction. You just have to strive for a happy medium.

The problem with the stickies, in my view, is some of the information is subjective. How do you determine what the "proper" information is that should go on a sticky? What happens if I subscribe to medicating my fish when sick, but you believe in natural cures? How about if I have a planted and heavily filtered tank, but you think I should change my water at a higher frequency than I do? In the end, much of it is just personal opinion regardless of the degree of knowledge or experience an individual may have.

In a forum format you can obtain different opinions (be they right or wrong ). I share your pain regarding some of the posts and responses, but that's what a forum is all about. Everyone's trying to obtain/give help in their own way.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #6 
Adastra

No need to get stabby--I'm merely trying to contribute to the effectiveness of this forum's stickies. My presence in the majority of topics of this nature lately is an obvious sign that I am willing to help people with their issues--but these are basic questions that do have an answer. The sticky could provide the reasoning behind multiple viewpoints on controversial and help people decide for themselves. That is not difficult nor is it too much to ask. I am merely asserting that editing and consolidation of these stickies would be helpful and provide even the more experience members with a solid piece of reference material.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I am new in the computer world and forums and I have never looked or read the sticky post, perhaps I should, but during my short time in these forums I found that sometimes a new hobbyist needs special attention and some things explained in a manor that they can easily understand and follow.

I do agree that lot of information is out here and sometimes a person may not know what to ask to even understand what they are reading to associate one thing with another to know how they are related.

For me, I don't mind helping others or repeating myself over and over or all the PM's I get asking for help/advice.

Its my time and I have no problem giving that time to help another person.

I have lots of opinions and experience and I am happy to help those in need to help them become successful in a wonderful hobby that we enjoy.

Often I find that each problem is individual and very important to that poster even if it is just to tell them that what they are doing is correct IMO/E

Forums are great places to share what you know, what has worked for you and to learn.

Each poster has their story and each poster experience is different and this is what make forums a great place to share information.

Being a naturalist and long-time keeper I often have different views from a lot of people on forums, I don't think you have to have all the fancy costly stuff to be successful and giving advice based on what that poster has and can make do with items on hand- in my opinion will give them a better chance at success and to stay long term in this hobby, to grow and someday get all that fancy stuff and understand it too.

But I do agree with Adastra that up-dating the sticky post could be a good idea to at least give a person a starting point.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #8 
vilmarisv

As one of those ppl who ask repetitive Q's. THANK YOU all taking the time answering questions.
I usually do a search before I post a question but more often than not I can't find an answer to my specific question, so I end up posting a new thread. I have looked at the stickies and do find them lacking but there's always so very many helpful people willing to help!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #9 
Felessan

I thought the betta care sticky was helpful...if you have never owned a bata befor anf should be called basic betta care for new owners.
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

We can't sticky everything, then we wouldn't be a forun where you discuss things, just a bunch of articles. I think it's good to have different opinions but what works for one person may not work for another.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote