Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #1 
Dead Sunlight

Exclamation Female drops eggs in cup, and eats all of them!!!

HELP!!! I've got the chills now... Okay, so I had to re-condition my breeders and the time came to float the female in the male's tank. So this is her, what? 3rd day in the cup, its 10;25,pm and when I go get my net to fish her out, i come back later to see that she had released like 30 non fertilized eggs!!! I kinda panicked cause this is my first spawn, and dumped her and the eggs out into the tank. gotta
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #2 
beta novice

gasp oh my hopefully the male puts them in the nest and doesnt eat them :(
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Sorry, but you failed this time. It's useless to release the female and eggs because males can only fertilize by embracing.

I suggest that you isolate both and try again in two - three weeks. Considering that your female hasn't been bullied, thus she will quickly be ready to spawn again. And since the male hasn't done any embracing nor has he been taking care of eggs/fry, he is always ready to spawn.

Now that you know your female is a "quick" egg layer, next time don't wait until three days to release her. I usually introduce the breeders in the late afternoon and release the female the next morning.

Good luck on your second attempt.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

You left her in the cup too long. Now that she's released the eggs I think your going to have to recondition and try again. The male isn't going to fertilize some eggs he finds on the bottom of the tank.. he'll probably eat them.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

If she was well conditioned to start, she should be ready to spawn again in 3 days. I would pull her and feed well in a location so that she can't see the male or any other fish for that matter.
This is one of the reason why I like to use plants as my separator and not cups, the fish knows when they are ready....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #6 
Dead Sunlight

Update- I've reconditioned them and when I said 3 days, I just mean't a few hours a day. Sorry!!! Dead Sunlight has made a GIANT bubblenest, and the already conditioned Queenie is ready. I just released them and will keep vilgent watch. U think that they'll embrace today? THIS IS TAKIN' FOREVER!!!

Queenie ate all the dropped eggs, but last night, I saw that they were trying to embrace!!!
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #7 
beta novice

good luck dead sunlight looks gorgeous
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote