Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #1 
WendyT

Smile A Success Story!

Re: Louie needs a doctor

6 weeks ago I posted on this forum the problems that my male betta, Louie, was developing. I posted before and after pics showing his visible condition (bloating/constipation, swim bladder disease, pop eye, color loss). The biggest problem, in this novice’s eyes, is that he had a new problem crop up every few days; it was ongoing and frustrating. I cried over the fact that he would probably die and I was powerless to stop it.

He hung in there. I even posted a query whether it was a good thing that he kept on trying to swim upright, wanted to eat, fought to stay alive. Two weeks ago I had some friends stay over and reminded them my fish was not dead if they saw him floating on top. It did look like it.

Something started to change and I can’t put my finger on when. I gave him antibiotics (Maracyn 1), changed large portions of his water every other day (I didn’t want to stress him by netting him), resumed feedings after fasting for seven days with no result (he started pooping after I started feeding him).

This past week: His face (not whole head) is slightly grayish and the rest is such a deep beautiful red. His bloating has long since gone down and his body is back to being sinewy (can you say that about a fish?). While his eyes still look somewhat larger than before – he can see perfectly – his food, me, etc. The most gratifying part for me is that he is not struggling to swim or stay vertical. For weeks I watched him struggle to stay upright only to float onto his side. At the same time, when he was vertical he spent all of time ‘hugging’ the glass. As though he was afraid he was going to float, he very seldom ventured out into the center of the bowl. (I removed plants and all but a few pebbles so that I could track his waste.) - Now, he swims openly and all over.

Long story short (uh huh!) – He is back to the Louie that I brought home 9 ˝ months ago.
The moral of this story: DON’T GIVE UP!

Thank you all for your advice and letting me cry on your shoulders.. You are the best!

Wendy
WendyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

That's fantastic!!! I'm so glad you didn't give up.
You've done such a good job!!!!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

That's good to hear. So often we get the opposite on this forum.

Well done!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #4 
sjones

nice! I was actually having a similar thought just now looking at my betta rescue that I nursed back to health and today he just ate his tail off, that this was kind of teaching me about how things can heal (sometimes) now.. pictures!!!!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #5 
Alienbetta1
Banned

=)That was such a toughing story!

Sorry if I spelled it wrong.
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #6 
Maryrox247

Wow! That's so great to hear, good job!!!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antibiotics, constipation, pop-eye, recovered