Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #1 
Jennyinurmouth

Goku and his healing, anyone wanna help?

Mkay if you saw him in the betta pictures thread then you know who I am talking about.
I love this little betta. Ever since I met him on the petsmart shelf I knew that was MY betta. So he had a ripped tail, and it is pretty bad if you could look closely in real life, and it WAS just a cm or so from the base of his tail.
He couldn't swim with it when I first got him, and he wouldn't eat.

Now I notice he is more active. He is eating, and his tail has grown just a bit within the week that I have had him. He still has problems swimming, but from what I can see, it is just because of his tail, not a sbd. I have his tank at 80 degrees, I added a stresscoat and a tsp of salt per gallon, and he is in the gallon bowl right now. I am going to add areation as well to help him heal.
Any other things I might want to try?
Jennyinurmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like you are doing a great job, it can be a challenge with a sick, injured, weak and stressed fish....

Other things you can add to what you are already doing is Indian almond leaf (IAL) or native oak leaf (OL)-I use oak leaves from my yard(poison/pesticide free) and steep them in water until it stains or releases the tannins.
I keep buckets outside to collect rain water and keep oak leaves in them for my spawning tank and for mosquito larva production. I often use that water for treatment too.
I have to add this water slow due to it being so much softer than my well water so not to shock the fish I might add.......

Live foods are also a good way to help in the healing process.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #3 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sounds like you are doing a great job, it can be a challenge with a sick, injured, weak and stressed fish....

Other things you can add to what you are already doing is Indian almond leaf (IAL) or native oak leaf (OL)-I use oak leaves from my yard(poison/pesticide free) and steep them in water until it stains or releases the tannins.
I keep buckets outside to collect rain water and keep oak leaves in them for my spawning tank and for mosquito larva production. I often use that water for treatment too.
I have to add this water slow due to it being so much softer than my well water so not to shock the fish I might add.......

Live foods are also a good way to help in the healing process.
Hey Jenny!
I just found a link for you for the IAL.
They're super cheap on this site but the quality seems legit. It's a site for frog related products and apparently they're used for tadpoles.
They're 1.75 plus shipping. Much cheaper than paying 15 dollars for them like I've seen at other sites for fish related use.
here's the link http://www.joshsfrogs.com/product/80...-leaves-5-pack .

(if this is spam let me know and I'll try deleting it.)

Last edited by LucyLoofa; 06-25-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: forum etiquette.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote