Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #1 
beta novice

how many females?

how many females can i have in a 15 gallon tank i just got a 15 gallon tank for my platies and betta because my tank was leaking need to re calk it but once thats done the tank will be empty i was thinking a sorroity how many can i have i already have one female
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #2 
doggyhog

I'd say no more then 12.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #3 
Duckzorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
I'd say no more then 12.
12? really? the woman at the pet smart i go to said that female bettas are just as aggressive as males are. i'm by no means a betta expert as i was wondering this myself.

i have one female betta which i just bought yesterday, 4 rasboras, 3 glowlight tetras and a ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon tank. if i were to try to put more female bettas in the tank how many would be okay?

also, would i need to devide them? or would they be okay swimming around together with the other fish.
Duckzorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #4 
doggyhog

Duckzorz:

Generally, pet stores don't know what the heck they are talking about. Here's some general info on keeping females together: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402

With your tank, No more fish. It's already on the verge of being over stocked and female bettas need at least 10g to them selves. If you have bigger then a 10g you can add tank mates to a sorority.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #5 
Adastra

If you are planning on sorority, keep in mind that not all of the girls will necessarily be compatible with others. The lady at the pet store was not completely wrong--some females can be as aggressive as males. Even if your tank can potentially hold a lot of females, keep in mind that if one or many of these females are not compatible with each other, it will be your responsibility to house them separately in heated tanks that you must maintain.

Don't get so many girls that you wouldn't be able to take care of them separately if things don't go as planned.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #6 
Alienbetta1
Banned

I thought it was 6.
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #7 
Duckzorz

well i decided that tomorrow i am going to give up my rasboras and tetras to petsmart and buy some more females. the only other tank i have is a standard goldfish bowl that's only one gallon.
i have a picture of my tank setup here (at the bottom) : http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....22202&page=120
how many females do you suggest i get to compliment my one?
also, what if two of the bettas i get are harrassing the others and i have to separate them both. do i keep one in the goldfish bowl and the other still in the tank?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #8 
Duckzorz

sorry for the double post, but i was planning on leaving soon for the pet store and was hoping that maybe someone would see this and could answer me
Old 06-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #9 
doggyhog

I'd recommend getting 5 more females.

Also, I'd pick up a bunch more plants. Make sure you get lots and STUFF the tank so they have enough places to hide.

I would NOT put all the girls in right away, quarantine them for at least a week first. Since it's pretty warm out you probably won't have to worry about heating the tanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #10 
Duckzorz

well of course i didn't read you're post right away and we put all the fish we have in at the same time. one of them unfortunately looks like shes sick (of course she's the only one we got from petco) and shes having trouble swimming so we isolated her into the goldfish bowl. the other four that are still in the tank seem to be getting along fine so far.