Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #1 
Feral Nature

What qualifies as a "Betta Rescue"?

What exactly qualifies as a "Betta rescue"?

I am new here and I have been reading as much material here as possible and it almost seems as if there is a difference of opinion among members here as to what constitutes a rescue. How bad off does a Betta have to be before it is considered being rescued? What is the criteria?

Thanks for clearing it up
Feral Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

When a betta is half-dead, dying, sick, has mucky water, missing fins, eyes, etc. I consider that a betta rescue- though there are many other opinions.

For example, I got Marmaduke lying at the bottom of his cup in disgusting water, little bits of waste and excess food floating everywhere. He was half dead.
Then Spiri, who was also in the same conditions,
And Norm, who was living in 1-2 inches of green disgusting water.

Edit- Well, now that I think about it, even buying a healthy betta could be considered a rescue, if they`re in those tiny cups... they`re most likely going to die anyway.

Last edited by Betta Slave; 06-24-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #3 
Adastra

I only consider it a rescue if you did not pay for the fish, or if the store somehow lost money on the fish (ie. buying the fish at cost value). If you simply pay for a sick fish, you are contributing to a system which benefits from selling sick fish in poor conditions to the public.

This is a sympathy purchase, it doesn't matter how sick the fish was or how dirty the container. While it helps the one fish you bought, there will simply be another there to replace it next week. Stores that continually profit from the sale of sick fish will not be motivated to change their practices.

I also would consider it a rescue if you went out of your way to adopt a fish from someone who could no longer care for it as opposed to paying into the pet industry. Adopting breeder culls falls into this category as well, even if they are healthy fish.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #4 
Feral Nature

That is what concerns me. At our local Walmart, they have the half-dead Bettas in the cups. Even females. I hesitate to buy them because there will just be more next week. However, I am considering asking the manager to call me before they "throw them out" which I am sure they do. I have this image in my mind of them tossing sick ones, cup, water and all into the trash. Mind you, that is just an image, not some fact I know of. I just wonder if the store manager would call me and give me the ones they are sure they cannot sell. I live in a rural area and the Walmart is in a one-horse-town where everybody knows everybody. Maybe it could happen.
Feral Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I agree with Adastra. There is a difference between a rescue and a sympathy buy. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other as long as you accept that by buying a sick fish all you are doing is letting another take its place.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #6 
Betta Slave

You guys have a good point there... I didn't view it like that.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote