Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #1 
LisaC144

Fin rot, tail biting, or just torn?

I came home and noticed my bettas tail was shorter. This happened overnight. I am not familiar with fin rot, as I never experienced it before. Can you take a look at these pictures and tell me if it looks like fin rot? Could it be he started tailbiting? I've never experienced that either. The only other thing I can think of if it isn't fin rot or tail biting is that he caught it in the small internal filter I have in the tank. Please advise. Any advice is appreciated.
Attached Images

LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #2 
Adastra

Black/gray crusty edges are a sign of infection. I think this may be from ammonia burns because of the fact that it is so even--a tear or fin biting would probably result in more horizontal tearing, but the fin is missing a piece from the top to the bottom instead.

I suggest majorly stepping up your water changing routine and adding a dose of aquarium salt.

What are the water parameters now? (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) How often do you normally change the water?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #3 
LisaC144

This tank is heavily planted and water changes are 50% every week. Ammonia is always at 0. I highly doubt it is ammonia burns.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #4 
Alienbetta1
Banned

It looks like fin rot.I would add some Epsom salt (same as Aquarium salt).
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #5 
Adastra

Interesting. Perhaps he is a very neat biter? Tail-biting can vary very widely in appearance. Some biters prefer to only nip in between the rays, which tends to be the most common, some like to bite out large sections. Perhaps yours prefers a sort of even lawn mower motion?

Either way, if this happened overnight it is more likely to be biting--the dark and gray area, though it is hard do determine the texture of it, may be an area of infection. Is it crusty or fuzzy?

Either way, I would consider doing some additional water changes during the week, and adding a bit of aquarium salt.

Note: Epsom salt is not the same as aquarium salt, it is a diuretic. Alienbetta meant kosher salt, I believe.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #6 
mjbn

"Perhaps yours prefers a sort of even lawn mover motion?"

rofllllflflfl
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Since this is new, it may just be an injury, but it does look a bit like fin rot too. How much shorter is the tail since you noticed the discoloration. And any other symptoms like lethargy, not eating..etc...
You have a good water change schedule and with the added benefit of live plants-I think it is most likely injury related.

Since he is in a planted tank you may not want to use aquarium salt due to some species of plants being salt sensitive.

But since its new you could try some daily 50% water changes for 5 days or put him in QT and start- aquarium salt 1tsp/g treatment with 100% daily water changes for 10 days
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #8 
LisaC144

I have epsom salt on han, but that is not what you mean, correct? He has never, ever been a tail biter whcih is why I speculated him perhaps getting his tail caught in the internal filter (also could cause a clean rip like that). Poor little guy.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #9 
Alienbetta1
Banned

I still add epsom salt
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #10 
LisaC144

OldFishLady, it is no shorter than when I first noticed it and it is a very clean cut. Perhaps I need to look into a safer filter for him. He readily accepted his pellets yesterday and today and their is no change in his behavior so far.