Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #1 
Alpha

Alpha is not swimming anymore :(

I changed Alpha's water about a week ago and the next day he was resting on the bottom of the tank. I changed his water one time since then and all he does is lay on the bottom and does not move. He will come to the top to get air randomly or whenever I tap the tank. He also has not eaten in about a week too. At first he would nip at it but not eat it, now he doesn't even attempt to eat.

It's sad to watch him like this when he used to be so active and happy to see me.

What should I do?
Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:40 AM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

We need to know info first.

How big is the tank? Is it heated? What's the water temp? How long have you had him?
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #3 
Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
We need to know info first.

How big is the tank? Is it heated? What's the water temp? How long have you had him?
Thanks for the response

It's a 2 gallon tank not heated. Water temp is unknown, I keep my apartment around 75 degrees. I had him for about 2 months.

I woke up this morning and he was laying on his side on the bottom of the tank. Usually he lays upright. His fins also are starting to look degraded.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Part of the problem may be that he is too cold and that can lower the immune response and cause other problems.
Start by making daily 50% water changes, get a heater and then get the temp up to 78F over a 2 hour time frame, look at him for signs of velvet (google pics)
Do you have a filter? and how often and how much on your regular water changes? any additives used?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #5 
Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Part of the problem may be that he is too cold and that can lower the immune response and cause other problems.
Start by making daily 50% water changes, get a heater and then get the temp up to 78F over a 2 hour time frame, look at him for signs of velvet (google pics)
Do you have a filter? and how often and how much on your regular water changes? any additives used?

i do not have a filter. I change the water 100%, once a week. no additives except KENT Beta Bowl Essential, it neutralizes the chlorine and makes tap water safe
Old 06-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #6 
mjbn

Yeah you neeeda find the water temp at like OFL said, keep it at 78* ATLEAST. 78-82 recommended. and it also might be ammonia levels in the water are too high because you're not making the water changes needed to control ammonia levels.? I'm pretty new to this, but from research it may be that. and it may be poisoning him.

Last edited by mjbn; 06-25-2010 at 07:14 PM.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #7 
mjbn

I'd suggest buying a filter too. There's a pretty good $10 filter at petco.
http://www.petco.com/product/12148/R...no-Filter.aspx
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I would also increase the water changes since you don't have a filter and add a weekly 50% water only change with your 100% weekly making twice weekly water change.
Did you google Velvet and rule that out as a cause?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #9 
Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I would also increase the water changes since you don't have a filter and add a weekly 50% water only change with your 100% weekly making twice weekly water change.
Did you google Velvet and rule that out as a cause?
I got a heater and some treatments. I googled velvet too, anyways, this morning Alpha had decided to move on.