Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 AM   #1 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Removing the male

I'm not trying to change the way most people breed. I just want to point out something I consider as a misconception amongst everyone here.

You feel that males must be removed immediately after the fry are free swimmers. It is believed that the male may eat the fry. Well, I have never experienced anything like that. In fact most of my males would fast during breeding. I guess they simply don't have the time to eat since they're always picking up strays and putting them back in the nest.

I usually keep my male with the fry for at least 1 month, until the fry is big enough to eat newly hatched mosquitoes. As long as the male hasn't been disturbed by any other adult, they will live peacefully with the fry. If the male sees a female and wants to breed again, some may attack the fry. But not to eat them, simply to protect his new nest.

Attachment 13981

This is one of my male with his 3 week old bunch.

Last edited by indjo; 08-08-2010 at 10:56 AM.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #2 
Romeo Longsword

Congrats, I also agree with this concept.
Romeo Longsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #3 
beta novice

wow
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

That has been my experience too indjo. In my multi spawning experiment I found that the female did not eat the fry either, however, if the spawn is important- you may not want to risk leaving either the male or female in the tank too long.
Every male is different in my experience, some are great and other are not.

The more experienced the breeder the less they tend to eat the fry, even fry that are not their own.
When I move the fry to grow out I often miss some due to the massive plants in the spawning tanks and when I place new breeders in the tank I will often see the missing fry and the breeders ignore them even when they are going after the mosquito larva and the fry are darting around after the live food themselves and then I net the fry out of course.

I have had females attack and destroy nest, male that ate the eggs or fry as they hatched or ate them when they fell from the nest or became free swimming, I have had male guard the nest full of bad eggs...every breeder can be different in my experience.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I agree with the females, they often attack nest and fry. But I have never seen a male do such a thing. The worse males I have bred only ignore nest and fry. But I do agree that every breeder is different. In fact one breeder may act differently on each spawn.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Isn't that the truth, they can change from one spawn to the next and even one day to the next....they like to keep you on your toes.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

yup!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #8 
FloridaBettas239

You say that we might want to take them both out if its an important spawn thats why people say take her out after the spawn and take him out after free swiming and thats because where your getting this information is from sites where breeding is inportant who breeds just for nothing then the fish are suffering because you want to breed just because its cool people breed to rais the fry and select breed so they can better the fish they have so they can make there own line and to make an ibc standards show betta so if 99 fry hatch and you leave the dad in for a month you could end up with 10 fry or 99 but why take the chance when one out of them 99 could of been that one to start your line with or that perfect betta
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

You could end up with 10 fry regardless. I think if the breeder saw the male eating the fry he would be removed. But if you have a male who is proven not to be a fry eater, who is well fed and a good father, leaving him in could potentially really help the fry to be well adjusted and better parents themselves.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

FloridaBetta239:
Where I come from getting a pure genetic code of certain line is close to impossible if your not willing to spend much much more on breeders. So I create my own line of HM's, green and copper mostly. I would add new genetics (this means uncertain genetics) every fourth generation. So it does matter that I get pure HM green or copper.

Yes I take breeding for granted because I'm no longer trying to achieve special goals other than perfect HM. At least 2 spawns/month with an average of 30 - 50 offsprings each spawn, I have more than I need. I either give them away or simply cull them.

I mostly learned from experience, which has shown me that breeding tanks/containers can be filled with predators harmful to fry. Further more mosquitoes are also a big risk to my family. That's why I leave the male with the fry until they are big enough to eat newly hatched mosquitoes.

I am curious why your males eat their fry while mine don't and am hoping that members would post reasons for their misfortune. Hopefully, by comparing experiences, we could find a solution to avoid males eating fry, that would work for everyone.