Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #1 
Amour

New Here! Question about feeding live food to Bettas

Hi! I'm new here and just bought my first Crowntail Betta a few days ago. He's really happy in his tank, and I have a filter and a heater for him.

I have pellets for him, and freezedried blood worms, and Tetra Betta Min flakes as well.

My question is though:

I've seen a lot of people on this forum saying that they feed their bettas frozen bloodworms and the like, and I've read on several places on the internet that frozen/live food is one of the main reasons bettas get bad diseases like tuberculosis, dropsy, and internal bacteria infections. And to stay away from them.

So I was just wondering what you all thought about that. I don't want my Ninja to die a terrible death because of something I did.

Also, we'd like to know more about fasting and whether we should do it or not? What are the pros/cons?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Last edited by Amour; 06-25-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #2 
mjbn

Well im not sure about frozen but i'm thinking with live foods, it can carry really bad bacteria, infecting your betta. But the whole fasting thing is optional. I personally don't fast my betta. I feed him 2 times a day 2 pellets. The only "fasting" i would do is feed him 1 time on one day of the week. But i've heard that fasting helps digestion of food. A con that i've read about is the fish might react negatively.. Eg. they get hungry or feel uncomfortable or something and staart tailnipping.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #3 
Amour

Another question: Doe we need a gravel vacuum? If so, what do you recommend that's not expensive?

How about this: http://www.lnt.com/show_product/4667...utm_term=46672
Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #4 
mjbn

You don't need one, if you're fine with losing alot of your essential bacteria because you'd have to completely wash the gravel to get all the uneaten food/waste out along with the bacteria.. i don't have one yet, but i will get one after my tank is cycled.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #5 
Amour

So that means it's better to have one, right? How about that particular model I posted?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #6 
mjbn

Yes. Do you have a filter too? (filtershold most of the benefical bacteria you need in a tank) Well i don't have any experience with that model or any model at all, but i read the reviews on that specific model. Seems fine as far as i'm concerned. I'd ask some "experienced" users on this site though. you can make a new thread in the "tanks, habitats, and accessories" forum asking about any affordable, reliable gravel vac.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #7 
Amour

I made the thread, thank you!

And yes I do have a filter.

I'd like to hear more about feeding these guys and all their different foods, etc. Right now I'm feeding him pellets that are made out of fish meal, until I can get my hands on some of that Omega one stuff, which I've heard is much better. But I wanna vary his diet and so far the only things I have other than pellets are freeze dried blood worms, baby shrimp and Betta min flakes. What should I do?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #8 
mjbn

I read htat you have a 1.5 G tank. I think you should upgrade to a 2.5 or a 5 at least. At petco, they're having a sale on that. I got my 5.5 for $15. I could've gotten a 2.5 for $13 and a 10G for $15 as well. But look at this coupon page. scroll down till you see a green and white rectangle. http://www.petco.com/petco_Page_PC_p..._Nav_1347.aspx $1 per 1 Gallon of tank. smallest tank though is 10G. And you ahve to be a petco PALS member. But remember, bigger tank = more swimming room for fish/happier fish. But make sure that your filter can filter all the water (made for that amount of gallons).

As for food heres direct quote from a more "experienced" member of this site to me:

"And as far as feeding the betta goes, I suggest getting a high quality betta pellet like OmegaOne betta buffet pellets, Atison's betta pellets, Ken's Betta Crumbles, or New Life Spectrum. These are all good brands. If you cannot find these particular ones, look in the ingredients--meat should be the first ingredient, preferably "whole" meat, like whole salmon, whole krill, whole fish meal--stuff like that. If you see "wheat" or "flour" anything before the meat--put it back, it's garbage. If you see MSG or copper sulfate in it, it's also garbage--put it back. I usually feed my fish 3 pre-soaked pellets a day--soaking them in tank water helps prevent bloating. 2 pellets twice a day is also a good idea if you have time for that.

Avoid freeze-dried foods, they are not good nutritionally, and they cause some of the worst constipation in fish I have ever seen. They're terrible. Frozen foods like hikari's spirulina brine shrimp and blood worms are a good treat, I usually use frozen foods twice a week. It's good to vary the diet with different pellets and frozen foods because no single pellet formula can provide your fish with complete nutrition.

In this hobby you learn very quickly that any product with a big picture of a betta on it is only intended to catch your eye and trick you into thinking it's a good product for a betta. It isn't. Don't be fooled and don't let the pet store people make you think that bettas come from tiny mud puddles and can live at room temperature or any of that other nonsense." - Adastra

Very good advice^

Last edited by mjbn; 06-25-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #9 
Mizzle

frozen food isn't live food. and I've also read that it can cause problems with your bettas health. I'd just keep it simple and go with some freeze dried blood worms / brine shrimp and pellets
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote